Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Zuchini powdery mildew.

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Zuchini powdery mildew.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    elvinelvin

My zuchinis have done really well and still producing, but with recent rain and humidity the leaves have got powdery mildew. Any recipes to treat it?

I want to put the leaves in the compost bin, it’s my weedy compost so will sit for a long time. Any ideas??:|

EmbersEmbers

I had powdery mildew (is it downy or powdery mildew? A lot of sites use the terms interchangeably) caused by too much moisture and humidity on my cucumbers, pumpkins and zucchinis and had a little success with milk spray. I mixed 1 part full cream cow’s milk to 4 parts water and let my 4-year-old go nuts spraying the top and underside of the leaves. In the end I still lost the cucumber (I think it got too much shade where I planted it), but my pumpkin and zucchini recovered.

My friend also recommened sulphur powder as well, haven’t tried or heard about this though so can’t recommend it personally.

I believe altering the pH on the leaf surface is what fixes the mildew, but would love to know more too.

ETA: There’s an info page here about it, they say don’t put it in your compost.

WazzaWazza

Bi-carbonate of soda is also effective. Add 7 teaspoons (20 grams) bicarbonate of soda to a bucket of water and sufficient detergent to make a rich lather. Stir the mixture to dissolve the bicarbonate of soda powder. Spray both sides of the affected leaves.

Our Zucchinis were very badly affected but are now recovering with the arrival of a dozen or so of those yellow and black ladybirds that eat mildew. Marvellous little critters, and quite beautiful with it.

elvinelvin

I noticed some yellow and black ladybirds. Maybe I will just take off the worst leaves and compost them. I’ll give the critters a chance to do their job. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.