Aussies Living Simply

You can never have too many roses

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden You can never have too many roses

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I have 4 new roses to plant out one of which is the Gallipoli rose. Now DH has to build a wire fence around each one to stop the kangaroos and rabbits from devouring them. This brings my roses up to 30, any one would think I love roses.The fences are an eyesore but necessary as the kangaroos/rabbits eat any and every thing here.

Don’t have much luck with roses……………either have too much rain and black spot devastates them or no rain= no water for them.

KasaliaKasalia

Last week I ordered another 2 roses, one climbing, and a yellow Brindabella Rose. This makes 10. I do love them but struggle with sub tropic weather and clay soil. This year tho will spend time learning what it takes to grow them, properly, apparantly where I am should make no difference, but I do think a good cold winter is the trick.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Clay soil shouldn’t be too much of a problem as the soil here is clay, I do add compost and sheep poo to it though.

SnagsSnags

Im putting in a vineyard along my front boundary and will have a rose at each post in the sub tropics just to please the wife

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I have seen a lot of vineyards with roses at either end, this is supposed be an early warning system for pest invasion. I don’t know how true it is.

SnagsSnags

Some say it adds flavour to the wine too
    But it looks nice and I cant see any other context to introduce roses to a sub tropical garden with out looking too jarring.
    I googled the ABC gardening Australia site and the lady in Darwin grows David Austins up there so I shouldnt have too much trouble (except deciding)

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

We don’t have much luck with roses here.  Favourite food of wallabies… 🙁

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

That is why all my roses are in wire cages doesn’t look very pretty but the damn roos can’t get them.

SnagsSnags

Ive got wallabies never thought they would be a problem they leave my veg alone ,they love fresh mowed grass when it shoots after rain

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I have a climbing rose here, but nothing for it to climb on, it just goes feral, so I have to keep chopping it back, it’s a lovely one too 
    I do have a good solid archway at the side gate, would love to transplant but it would run amok into next door, don’ want to be forever trespassing on their driveway to prune it
    but I do love roses, love the old fashioned kind,

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I brought several roses with us when we left Brisbane and I think there is only one left now Blue Moon…. between the cows, possums and floods they all died 🙁 
    There are a few that were here one is a climbing rose on the fence which the possum keeps eating and a little yellow rose by the stairs that gets no attention which is flowering away, an old rose that has a pink blush on the bud it opens a creamy colour then as it ages goes pink before the petals drop but best thing it has NO thorns and a beautiful musk pink but it has heaps of tiny thorns

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

I have six rose bushes and enjoy them very much. If anyone asks about them in my productive garden, I tell them it is ‘to bring the bees’.

The picture I have attached shows my climbing rose in among the citrus trees, with an elderflower bush.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.