Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Worm Farm Question

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

Miaowzen post=346811 wrote: My worm farm is a plastic laundry hamper with drilled holes in the bottom buried in my garden. The worms use it as a feeding station but go into the garden to eliminate, so all I have to do is keep adding food. I blend foodscraps in my vitamix. My only issue is that a mouse ate through the newspaper I cover the farm with and killed a couple of worms 🙁 Needs a lid of some sort.

A great system for earth worms. :tup: I am told that compost worms require very specific conditions to thrive in garden soil – not impossible but difficult to succesfully establish – hence the various style worm farms for compost worms.

silentCsilentC

I had that impression too, but the worm man told me you could throw a handful of compost worms in the garden whenever you wanted to boost the population. It probably is about keeping conditions right, but I think that is about drainage and aeration. With his sheet composting, you’re basically running a mobile worm farm on the surface – the worms follow the food and leave behind nice growing conditions.

He had some interesting set ups, one of which was a bed covered in plastic where he’d laid some dead animals on the ground – his wife works as a vet nurse and is able to bring home Tiddles and Fido after the green dream. The biggest animal he had was a sheep. Pretty gross to think about, but he reckoned in a year or so it would be fantastic for growing in.

He feeds his worms meat too. Left over chicken scraps after the Sunday roast, including the bones.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

Actually BW, I find mostly compost worms in my laundry hamper. Earth worms don’t really like kitchen scraps so much. I find earth worms everywhere else in the garden and tiger worms in my bucket going in and out of the surrounding soil

silentCsilentC

Do you move it around, or does it just sit in the one place most of the time?

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I just keep it in one place, but I guess it could be moved around, except the existing compost worms might not find it in the new spot.

I have also heard of people drilling holes in plumbing pipe and putting them all over the yard as its pretty narrow it doesn’t take up much space. Distributed feeding stations. I thought it would be good to have one under every fruit tree, but to be honest I don’t spend enough time blending food scraps to feed many worms so I haven’t tried the pipes.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I moved my worm farm a couple of weeks ago and back filled the old one because it was attracting slugs and I want them in the backyard being eaten by ducks.

Anyway, I was weeding around my old worm today and discovered a lot of both red tiger worms and earthworms. So I started digging where the old worm farm had been and there was a huge writhing mass of worms there and amazing worm casting soil! :woohoo:

Because my worm farm was set into the soil with holes for them to go in and out I had created a large worm population around the perimeter of the worm farm. Once I covered it with soil they all descended on the area. There were more there than in the farm!

So I used half of it to create a new in-ground worm farm somewhere else, half on a new seed bed in which i sowed seeds straight into the castings, and then i filled the hole with weeds and back filled again. Many worms escaped into the soil as it had been made so well-tunneled by the worm farm. Given that my soil is bright red heavy clay the contrast with the black humus is quite amazing.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

Btw not all earthworms either, I discovered many large red tiger compost worms all through it, and throughout the topsoil within a few feet of where the laundry basket had been.

silentCsilentC

I’m definitely going to give that a go.

I backed off the food that was going into my bathtub worm farm and started a new pile next to the old one (side by side in the tub). I expected them to have moved off by now, but there are still more worms in the old pile than in the new one, so I guess there must still be plenty of food in it.

mudhenmudhen

How’s your worm farm these days, SilentC? My laundry trough farm is booming along, and besides the warmer weather waking them up a bit, I’ve also been blending their food for the last month or so, and can’t believe the difference it has made. Those are happy worms, as opposed to the “I’m just going about my business” worms that I used to have. I keep a bucket on the sink just for them (no onions or citrus) and when it’s full I add enough water and use the stick blender to make “soup for worms” as opposed to “worm soup” which just sounds wrong!

silentCsilentC

G’day Mudhen. Yeah it’s going good. I’m due to clean out the castings again, just waiting for a nice day to do it. Last time it went well, I just heaped it all on a 4′ square bit of plywood and gradually pulled it away to the edges and the worms all ended up in the middle, then I dumped that back in the farm and started a new pile of scraps.

I’ve been having a bit of trouble with little insects which I think are vinegar flies. I gather it’s because there’s fruit in the mix and they like laying their eggs in it. The worm farm has a tight lid on it now and ventilator holes with fly screen. The adults can’t get through it, but there’s still a cloud of them when I open the lid. I’m wrapping the scraps in newspaper and throwing in a handful of lime every couple of weeks, which were a couple of remedies suggested, but no real change.

We’re about to get chooks, so I’ll probably change what we’re giving the worms and cut out fruit altogether.

We’ve got a stick blender, so might give that a go too.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.