Aussies Living Simply

Wool for Mulch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    carolf

Afternoon everyone,

Has anyone used wool for mulch, and was it successful? did the birds scatter it every where?:)

Thanks

weaver

I have used alpaca fibre for mulch quite successfully. Mind you my chooks got into it for a while but then it felted a bit and was fine. It is particularly good in the bottom of garden beds etc.

carolf

Thanks Weaver, not sure what to do with it, had 20 sheep shorn yesterday, am not building anymore garden beds.:) and really don’t want it all over the yard, my chooks are locked out of the house yard but have a lot of native birds as parrots, wrens, magpies ect flying around and i am thinking they may scatter it all over the place.

If you would like some let me know, i am not far from Albury.:)

weaver

Thanks Carol but I still have a couple of bags of alpaca fibre (only the crappy sweepings from the floor) to get through. I am still building garden beds so plan to ditch some in the bottom of those. If you felted it well it could work and not be dragged about by birds. Just use hot water and rub at it really hard and it will mat up for you.

becca

My auntie uses it in her raised beds. Seems to do a great job; wouldn’t recommend it for anywhere humid, I think. Might hold onto the moisture a bit too much. But for a good dry summer climate it’s great. From what I could tell she didn’t have any trouble with birds, but she did have it in (cut-down water tank) raised beds. I guess until it mats down a bit you could put some ringlock or chicken wire over it to keep the birds off?

carolf

Weaver, must admit never considered felting, have done felting before but certainly not on a large scale.:o certainly worth thinking about thanks:)

Becca i have all raised beds, and we have mainly hot dry summers, just wondering how the earwigs:noapprove: would go with it, probably pretty much the same as straw for mulch:) and gather under it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.