Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Winter warmer porridge – would you?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE All things Chicken Winter warmer porridge – would you?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    EdiediohEdiedioh

A quick poll for us chook lovers…

Do you change what you feed your girls according to the season?

If you could source a warming breakfast for your girls this winter that was perfectly balanced in terms of nutrition and took as long to prepare as it takes to boil the kettle would you?

If yes, would it be as a daily staple or as an occasional treat?

If you would, how would you prefer to source it – eg. supermarket, online, markets, stockfeed, pet shop, other.

Thanks for your time and feedback.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I used to give my girls some warmed up oats

just supermarket oats in a bowl, pour on hot water and leave soak for a while till soft, them mix in a bit of milk powder, they still got their normal grains and free range etc, the porridge was for specially cold mornings, and they loved it

casalentacasalenta

I get a mix of bran and pollard from the fodder shop and make a hot mash with it and give it to them in the evenings (usually). I also add mixed spice or curry powder, especially on really cold nights.

They sometimes also get hot oats (supermarket oats). In winter I also usually warm the scraps.

IdunaIduna

Pellets with warm/hot water maybe with a little garlic and or chilli. I just use the lest over water in the kettle when I make the morning cuppers, or the left over porridge.

RobyneRobyne

I always give my girls a warm breakfast in winter , some days oats other days wheat cooked

have done pearl barley and lentils to warm them up.

EdiediohEdiedioh

Not oats Mummyjas!!! Go for pollard for now ( inexpensive and 15% protein).

I have to admit I’m stunned at the number of people feeding oats — particularly in winter!

Oats are a ration used to artificially bring on moulting – DO NOT FEED CHOOKS OATS IN WINTER they need all the feathers thru can get!

Thanks all for the feedback — confirms my suspicious that a commercial winter feed option is needed.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Ediedioh post=355630 wrote:

I have to admit I’m stunned at the number of people feeding oats — particularly in winter!

Oats are a ration used to artificially bring on moulting – DO NOT FEED CHOOKS OATS IN WINTER they need all the feathers thru can get!

This is interesting!

I have never noticed an ‘artificial’ moult happening amongst my chooks.. & they have been getting porridge regularly in Winter, for years.. :jawdrop:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.