Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Winter Habitat For Insects

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Pets and Native Animals Winter Habitat For Insects

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    porgeyporgey

Possibly the wrong category but with cooler temps & declining summer veggies I am noticing a lot more insects, particularly Ladybirds, in the garden as there annuals habitat shrinks. I am trying my best to provide more permanent habitat to to as many insects as I can so what should I do with the Ladybirds now clinging to the last vestiges of summer crops as the green foliage shrinks with the advance of winter like decay?

porgeyporgey

Bump

BelBel

I’ve found that insects really like herbs when they go to seed. If you could throw around a few seeds like coriander, dill etc that might help. They should still grow ok at this time of year. My dill is self-seeding everywhere. Perhaps rocket too? Parsley? They should grow fairly quickly and provide a bit of habitat.

SimoSimo

I’ve heard at lady bugs like convoluted leaves that have little nooks and crannies to hide in, I leave heaps of dead foliage from the veg on top of the garden bed as mulch and they seem to like living under the leaves that are off the soil surface a bit and stay dry. The also seem to like in my globe artichoke which is a parenial.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.