Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Willie wagtail stop out!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

Quite often hear these little guys singing at night, which I just did.Next thing it’s fluttering at my window – at 9.30pm.Thought it might be after moths but it’s not trying to catch them. Reflection in the glass? Maybe, but inbetween fluttering against the window seems content to perch on the windowsill to catch its breath. A welcome little night visitor. Do other folk hear wagtails calling at night?

gleanertgleanert

I never knew they even had a voice! – such beautiful friendly birds who always accompany me when I mow.

beccabecca

It’s one of my favourite sounds and always reminds me of the farm. They’re especially loud on very still nights (well, duh! 😆 ), it’s such a sweet song.

Most of the time round here they just sit on our fences and tut-tut at us while we work in the garden 🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren

One of my favourite birds too,up there with blue wrens! They are soooo cheeky in their black and white dinner suits.Hope I get a return visit to the window at night – don’t usually get such a close up view.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I hear them at night here along with lots of other things.

You don’t think he was trying to come inside to get out of the rain last night 😆

karyn26karyn26

We have willies dont mind them in the day time but when I’m off work and finally get to sleep in my own bed I dont need to hear the little sh*#s talking all bloody night.

Took me a while to work out who it was and yes they are especially vocal on still nights,if I knew which tree they were in I’d chuck a shoe at it.

lngferretterlngferretter

They tend to be more vocal at this time of year. I amuse myself for ages whistling back to and mimicking them – which causes them to whistle and mimick back! LOL I know small things amuse small minds but I love them and they remind me of spring. 😀

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

karyn26 wrote:

We have willies dont mind them in the day time but when I’m off work and finally get to sleep in my own bed I dont need to hear the little sh*#s talking all bloody night.

Took me a while to work out who it was and yes they are especially vocal on still nights,if I knew which tree they were in I’d chuck a shoe at it.

I know what I’d rather listen to willy wagtails sound much better than yapping dogs.

BlueWrenBlueWren

lngferretter wrote:

They tend to be more vocal at this time of year. I amuse myself for ages whistling back to and mimicking them – which causes them to whistle and mimick back! LOL I know small things amuse small minds but I love them and they remind me of spring. 😀

I’ll have to try that! I love having a small mind to relate to small creatures!

BlueWrenBlueWren

karyn26 wrote:

Wow, I get your point Karyn but I rather hope you don’t find the tree! I’m surprised they are loud enough to disturb your sleep.

karyn26karyn26

BlueWren in the hotter weather we leave the doors open and the trees they sit in arent far from the house.Plus I’m a crap thrower so they’re pretty safe.The fact I do wake up for toilet trips at night doesnt help that’s why I hear them also.

JudyB not many dogs around here that bark of a night including ours which is good .As we are all 5 acre lots and a lot of open space everything echoes so we all keep our animals quiet at night.

Our dogs wake up for food around 7am so that’s not too bad.

SnoopySnoopy

We have loads of willys visit morning and evening (and basically throughout the day too) but nothing after twilight.

We have verandahs on all sides of the house and a couple of them seem to like trying to get through the closed windows. There’s a series of thunk thunk thunk, then the singing or tikka tikka tikka call starts again. Kinda glad we have double glazing when I’m having a sleep in as the tikka tikka tikka call can be quite loud…. All the same, I wouldn’t be without these little insect hunters. Their flying skills are amazing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.