Aussies Living Simply

Wicking pots – what to use for the base layer

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden Wicking pots – what to use for the base layer

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kerrieb

OK I’ve finally got DH to cut my big blue drums and put some drain holes in the side. Next job mine to sand them and paint them DH is not keen on bright blue ;-).

Anyway this is a cheap use what’s around the house job. What is a better option to use in the base. Fairly fine sand out of the kids sandpit they don’t use anymore (I’m dismantling it) or scoria I’ve got in the bottom of the glasshouse that I’m pulling out to replace with some reclaimed pavers?

Wombat

Hey KB,

I reckon the scoria would work well. I’ve used bark chips and gravel and they did the trick. Not sure about the sand!

Nev

calliecat
    Participant

sand works fine here

just put some shadecloth or similar over the pipe so it doesn’t clog up

calliecat
    Participant

Wombat post=344684 wrote: Hey KB,

I reckon the scoria would work well. I’ve used bark chips and gravel and they did the trick. Not sure about the sand!

Nev

where have you been lol we needed you a couple of months ago 🙂

does the chip bark eventually break down please

or stay whole

BlueWren

A while back there was a very technical discussion on this subject!! 😉 Sand does work OK but I think the general conclusion was that something gravelly would hold more water in the available space than sand.Also one of my bath plugs didn’t drain , but may have covered it too well.

kerrieb

Excellent, shall use scoria first then if there’s not enough of that the sand.

calliecat
    Participant

cover your plastic with something then, so the scoria doesn’t tear it

kerrieb

Oh calliecat, I’m using those heavy blue plastic drums cut in two it will be fine with scoria.

calliecat
    Participant

oh I was tbinking of builders plastic lol

Wombat

Ours are a couple of years old now and there has been a bit of subsidance but they are still working OK

ruthy

we used sand and its been great.

kerrieb

Finished pots using mostly stuff I had around the yard. I went with scoria, old shadecloth, conduit DH said he could no longer use for it’s intended purpose, leftover paint DH didn’t really want bright blue, mostly the pots were filled with the semicomposted material in the chook run (you could loosely call it a deep litter system). I bought a couple of cheap bags of potting mix to put on top as there is likely to be a heap of weed seeds in there. The little one is in a dry semishaded spot currently has lettuce and celery in it as temp plants until I decide what I want in it. I wanted to be able to have something green there in summer as the moonah sucks every bit of moisture out of the ground. The bigger ones have raspberries (a friend gave me the canes) I know that I’ll probably have to replant out every few years but I’m banned from putting them in the ground. Ditto the thornless blackberry that one I picked u at Bunnings, I’ll be interested to see how it goes as it’s only meant to grow to a 1 1/2 instead of the normal sprawl. Be interesting to see how things grow in them.

Cheers

BlueWren

Very smart! :tup:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.