Aussies Living Simply

Wicking beds my go at them

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Fishfood

Heres my slant on wicking beds theres a few photos so please hold off the comments till i get the photos [7]all up

Mine are from fuel cells from building sites 5 in total

The bottoms are connected with a common drain and that runs to a submerged 200 liter drum with a sump pump

Set at the height you want your water res to sit

5 Tanks 500 mm high with cutdown milk crates to give an air void under the soil

Covered with shade cloth then coco coi [because i had some ] then a good 4 way garden soil

as i said the 7 photos in total so here goes

setup

crates

shade cloth

coco coi

drains

planted

porgey

They look great Fishfood, well done. I am in the process of revamping my patch and want to incorporate raised wicking beds so will be interested to see how you get on.

Where did you get the Coco coi(r)?

Fishfood

Just ask your local hydro shop after they grow there funny tomatoes finding a place to dump it is hard i got 50

bags

Fishfood

Also another good spots are in industrial estates you will find left over crops dumped every were

Xio

very neat 🙂

froot_loopz

looks great

Ive bought two pots have a go with

going to plant a flowering plant and another with parsley for the wabbit

Fishfood

Heres the latest photo birds was giving it hell

lmd80

Thanks, really impressed and given me some ideas! This is my next project hopefully followed by aquaponics..

BlueWren

They are excellent! My bath tub wicking beds are the only hope of growing anything in this heat ……silver beet and tomatoes going strong at present.As you have a common drain is the whole line on a slight incline to drain adequately?

What exactly are the fuel cells? Are they often left overs from building sites? What fuel? No residue that can’t be removed I presume?

calliecat
    Participant

they do look good, but I can’t work out the drainage??

they couldn’t be on too much of an incline, they need to be level to work properly, and water evenly?

Fishfood

BlueWren post=352595 wrote: They are excellent! My bath tub wicking beds are the only hope of growing anything in this heat ……silver beet and tomatoes going strong at present.As you have a common drain is the whole line on a slight incline to drain adequately?

What exactly are the fuel cells? Are they often left overs from building sites? What fuel? No residue that can’t be removed I presume?

Hi all tubs are dead level

the common drain is actually just below the tub bottom . but the 200 liter blue drum acts as a sump and by filling that to different heights i can set the height on the reservoir in the beds

notice a valve on each bed very handy planting new stuff turn it off and almost fill bed to the top [well within 2 in from top ]

Fuel sells are triple skin tanks that go in a frame for holding diesel on building sites [My mate supplies them these were cast wrong ]

These were new [good to have mates ]

Fishfood

lmd80 post=352590 wrote: Thanks, really impressed and given me some ideas! This is my next project hopefully followed by aquaponics..

Yes they are great Apuaponics unless you do it the right way you will have a lot of disappointments

Forrest tried it for a while [ pm her a message and ask a few questions ]

My system ran for 5 years it was on byap [Food & Fish up and running] and over 100,000 people looked at it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.