Aussies Living Simply

Wicking Beds

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Hamish121212Hamish121212

Has anyone used old carpet as a soil/gravel separator and wicking layer? Plenty of used carpet at carpet stores if you ask them to save it for you.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Hamish121212 post=337064 wrote: Has anyone used old carpet as a soil/gravel separator and wicking layer? Plenty of used carpet at carpet stores if you ask them to save it for you.

Any nasties in carpet? Or am I just too suspicious nowadays?

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I wouldn’t be using old carpet for anything 🙁

DaylaDayla

I am actually trying rolled up newspaper as my wick. About 4 green guides rolled up and spread around. I know it will break down but it won’t go anywhere, its fibres will remain. Its an experiment after all.

Dayla

WezWez

Anybody looked into the SIP methods? (Sub Irrigation Planters)

Bluewren tried to send you msg but for some reason it’s not posting-I’ll try again later

DaylaDayla

Wez post=337150 wrote: Anybody looked into the SIP methods? (Sub Irrigation Planters)

Can you tell us a bit about it please.

Dayla

WezWez

It’s a type of wicking system but instead of a medium to hold water you use some sort of container to hold more water. I’m building one in bed form. I’ll try & post some photos when done.

BlueWrenBlueWren

For example a small version would be pierced empty plastic drink bottles or 2litre milk bottles in the bottom of a plastic box.Growing soil/mix can go straight on top.Still have a fill pipe going into one of the bottles and a top drainage pipe as in standard wicking beds.Very good for balcony set ups.Lots to think about.

FishfoodFishfood

Heres a few pages of how I constructed the wicking beds in the new place

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=663&start=2160

Also look at second last page for latest photo

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.