Aussies Living Simply

wicking bed potatoes

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables wicking bed potatoes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

has anyone tried growing potatoes in a wicking bed.

DH has just built a new vege bed for spud, but i am wondering if i should try it as a wicking.

Fishfood

In short yes very sucessfull [have a look at my byap site for photos ]

bill

I am surprised. I thought the wicking beds would promote rot in spuds.

bluezbandit

If the wicking is working correctly the plants access the moisture they need without getting soggy.

Deb

Thanks F&F, you had some great looking spuds there.

Until we had a look at your spuds we were thinking the same as Bill. Wet feet

looks like we have ended up with that potato mosaic virus. the leaves all have small brown spots on them. was hoping it was something easy like rust instead, but when we have dug up the potatoes they have small pimple like textures to their skin.

never mind. try again in 5 yrs time.

John and Zoe

Hi everyone

This is my first attempt at posting a photo on our new ALS site so I hope it works.:unsure:

I also had some reservations about whether a wicking bed might be too damp for growing potatoes. However, I just unearthed these beauties from one of the wicking beds this morning, along with our first picking of broad beans. This is the most successful crop of spuds I’ve ever managed to grow and I’m sure that was down to the quality of the soil (imported garden soil) and having plenty of moisture available, thanks to the wicking system.

I only dug up about half the spuds from the bed today so, there are plenty more to look forward to.

Zoe and I enjoyed a few of the smaller ones for tea tonight and I also made a nice Leek & Potato soup in the Thermomix.:)

Edited to add: I should have mentioned that these are Dutch Cream potatoes.

Regards

John

Fishfood

I still remember dad saying dont mater what you do you have to have a well drained vegie bed [man how times have changed ]

bdm6125

Well done! That’s an impressive harvest!

Zoe and I enjoyed a few of the smaller ones for tea tonight and I also made a nice Leek & Potato soup in the Thermomix

Ooooh…there’s that darm thermomix coming to tempt me again!!!!!!! LOL

ok, here goes nothing. Lets see if i can work out how to get photos in without reading any instructions

Attached files

Fishfood

Google mineral deficiency in plants

Thanks F&F, looks like i may have a potassium and magnesium deficiency. So you dont think it is the mosaic virus then?

Wombat

Niiiiiice!

I give up, what’s a thermomix?

Nev

karyn26

I have just planted potatoes in my wicking beds and fingers crossed they come out looking as good as those pictured,I also have some in straw in ground beds so we’ll see which ones turn out the best,probably the self seeded ones knowing my luck.

thermomix-thermos that you mix stuff in ? just guessing

John and Zoe

Wombat post=294717 wrote:

I give up, what’s a thermomix?

Nev

Hi Nev

Thanks for the compliment on the spuds.:)

Here is the Thermomix website.

http://www.thermomix.com.au/01-productprofile.html

When Zoe first bought ours I nearly died when she told me the price (after she’d purchased it).:ohmy: However, as it replaces most other appliances in the kitchen, it isn’t too badly priced. I’m a huge fan of the machine these days and should mention that several of our friends have invested in a Thermomix, having seen ours in action.

Regards

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.