Aussies Living Simply

who to believe – global warming

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Global warming and climate change who to believe – global warming

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #531652
    Hummer
    Keymaster

    With all the ‘I’m right & your wrong attitude’ going on in this .. *sigh* .. thread.. some of you should try putting your efforts into your local community. All this winging could surely be put to better use !?

    It’s a broken record in here.. oh, & a very friendly reminder.. from the friendliest mod around.. keep it nice & don’t get personal 🙂

    And yes Toad.. Life IS what we make of it 🙂

    #531653
    Andre
    Keymaster

    Snags post=355887 wrote: So your cynicism and education and foresight extend to the realisation that the fossil fuel funded right wing lobby runs the anti wind farm astro turfing ?

    http://www.independentaustralia.net/2012/politics/anti-windfarm-astroturfers-exposed-in-parliament/

    Thanks for that link. I had no problems opening it here … :shrug:

    #531654
    Snags
    Member

    gardenlen post=355893 wrote:

    show the actual facts.

    len

    Which facts do you want to see that you think will convince you ?

    #531655
    Snags
    Member

    gardenlen post=355893 wrote:

    show the actual facts.

    len

    Which facts would you need to see that will convince you ?

    #531656
    Bullseye
    Member

    Hey Snags, regarding your repeated offers there, I imagine there are no facts that will be convincing…

    By the sound of it, the timing and the doggedness, he’s in election mode.

    😛

    #531657
    Anonymous
    Guest

    getting a bit silly,

    but snags the evidence that the climate change supporters must have to show that the climate change is actual for one, and then to show that there is a smoking gun called CO2 actually causing it. and weather events are hardly evidence.

    show me/us actual facts please, the masses are against the theory. how does the saying go “put up or shoosh up”.

    i ahve exactly nothing to do with elections or all the corrupt political parties.

    many thanks

    len

    #531658
    Bullseye
    Member

    You might like to have a chat with John Cook at the University of Queensland

    Scientific Consensus On Anthropogenic Climate Change

    May 15, 2013 — A comprehensive analysis of peer-reviewed articles on the topic of global warming and climate change has revealed an overwhelming consensus among scientists that recent warming is human-caused.

    The study is the most comprehensive yet and identified 4000 summaries, otherwise known as abstracts, from papers published in the past 21 years that stated a position on the cause of recent global warming — 97 per cent of these endorsed the consensus that we are seeing human-made, or anthropogenic, global warming (AGW) Led by John Cook at the University of Queensland, the study has been published 16 May, in IOP Publishing’s journal Environmental Research Letters.

    The study went one step further, asking the authors of these papers to rate their entire paper using the same criteria. Over 2000 papers were rated and among those that discussed the cause of recent global warming, 97 per cent endorsed the consensus that it is caused by humans.

    The findings are in stark contrast to the public’s position on global warming; a 2012 poll* revealed that more than half of Americans either disagree, or are unaware, that scientists overwhelmingly agree that Earth is warming because of human activity.

    John Cook said: “Our findings prove that there is a strong scientific agreement about the cause of climate change, despite public perceptions to the contrary.

    “There is a gaping chasm between the actual consensus and the public perception. It’s staggering given the evidence for consensus that less than half of the general public think scientists agree that humans are causing global warming.

    “This is significant because when people understand that scientists agree on global warming, they’re more likely to support policies that take action on it.”

    In March 2012, the researchers used the ISI Web of Science database to search for peer-reviewed academic articles published between 1991 and 2011 using two topic searches: “global warming” and “global climate change.”

    After limiting the selection to peer-reviewed climate science, the study considered 11 994 papers written by 29 083 authors in 1980 different scientific journals.

    The abstracts from these papers were randomly distributed between a team of 24 volunteers recruited through the “myth-busting” website skepticalscience.com, who used set criteria to determine the level to which the abstracts endorsed that humans are the primary cause of global warming. Each abstract was analyzed by two independent, anonymous raters.

    From the 11,994 papers, 32.6 per cent endorsed AGW, 66.4 per cent stated no position on AGW, 0.7 per cent rejected AGW and in 0.3 per cent of papers, the authors said the cause of global warming was uncertain.

    Co-author of the study Mark Richardson, from the University of Reading, said: “We want our scientists to answer questions for us, and there are lots of exciting questions in climate science. One of them is: are we causing global warming? We found over 4000 studies written by 10 000 scientists that stated a position on this, and 97 per cent said that recent warming is mostly man made.”

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130515203048.htm

    #531659
    Airgead
    Member

    gardenlen post=355901 wrote: getting a bit silly,

    but snags the evidence that the climate change supporters must have to show that the climate change is actual for one, and then to show that there is a smoking gun called CO2 actually causing it. and weather events are hardly evidence.

    show me/us actual facts please, the masses are against the theory. how does the saying go “put up or shoosh up”.

    many thanks

    len

    Len…

    The facts have been presented many times.

    The actual fact is that no facts anyone can produce will ever make you change your mind. You have already made it up and nothing anyone can ever say will convince you. You see all facts that contradict your point of view as being “part of the conspiracy”. 97% agreement of scientific papers? Its the scientific “brotherhood” scratching each others’ backs. You are right, the rest of the world is therefore, clearly wrong.

    Stop asking for the facts, you will never believe them anyway.

    How about you watch smugly from the sidelines and leave this thread for those who honestly do want to learn more about this issue and not just bang the same old drum again and again.

    As you say, it is getting rather silly.

    #531660
    Anonymous
    Guest

    Post deleted as not adding anything to the discussion.

    #531661
    Snags
    Member

    Post deleted as not adding anything to the discussion

    #531662
    Anonymous
    Guest

    snags, you sill won’t answer.

    the ball is in your court provide the actual facts to support the assumption you so well believe, give us all the same opportunity.

    just so you may think i have some idea, i and many others can see no climate change here in australia, the rest fo the world, is still having volcanos, storms, building collapses, floods droughts, sounds like a pretty normal world.

    len

    #531663
    Airgead
    Member

    Len – no facts will ever satisfy you. Stop asking for them.

    Snags – No facts will ever satisfy Len. Stop offering them to him.

    Leave this thread for those who genuinely want to learn about this issue. If this descends into another it is/it isn’t slanging match I will close it. I’ve half a mind to delete the last bunch of posts as they add nothing at all to the discussion.

    The trolls… do not feed them.

    Cheers

    Dave

    Edit – After sober reflection, I did go back and delete the last few posts. They didn’t add anything.

    #531664
    Anonymous
    Guest

    dunno what you deleted dave? guess it was anything/everything from me, but anyway there has not as yet been any facts offered to explain this CO2 factor or the climate change it is supposed to be causing.

    you can look back on all climate change posts those sorts of questions have never been answered

    i genuinly want to learn/understand i made that offer, but if i ask questions then i get edited.

    len

    #531665
    Andre
    Keymaster

    Airgead post=355914 wrote: Len – no facts will ever satisfy you. Stop asking for them.

    Snags – No facts will ever satisfy Len. Stop offering them to him.

    Leave this thread for those who genuinely want to learn about this issue. If this descends into another it is/it isn’t slanging match I will close it. I’ve half a mind to delete the last bunch of posts as they add nothing at all to the discussion.

    The trolls… do not feed them.

    Cheers

    Dave

    Edit – After sober reflection, I did go back and delete the last few posts. They didn’t add anything.

    Some people will never learn .. 🙁

    #531666
    Bullseye
    Member

    ^

    |

    Len’s previous post is :spam:

    Len, John Cook at the University of Queensland might point you to a large list of studies written by 10,000 scientists… That’d be a good place to start!

    If I see another post from Len here on this topic before he reads just one scientific report on the human causes of global warming, I’m going to mark it as spam! :laugh:

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.