Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Which organizations in Renewable Energy or similar need volunteers?

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION, ENERGY and WATER CONSERVATION Sustainable Energy & Energy Conservation Which organizations in Renewable Energy or similar need volunteers?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DanHowerDanHower

Hi, I am offering my services for free

:hug:

who needs them?

Now the background. I have been working about one year in Germany developing a renewable heating technology waste biomass. That was unpaid work, and I could live from other income sources. Now I am back in Australia, and it seems those sources do not work any more. So unfortunately I had to go to Centrelink and will get paid Newstart allowance, and they told me since I am over 55 I could do 15 hours voluntary work per week to met the requirements to get that support.

I am ready to do that, and since the lady there knows my background she said I could choose which area and renewable energy or sustainability projects might be suitable for me.

Therefore my question is if somebody knows about organizations or projects in the abovementioned fields, so I could see if I could put my knowledge to good use with them.

Besides the mentioned biomass heating I have also worked on projects for direct solar heating, a new technology for solar-powered public transport, and several others. I am also very interested in aquaponics.

So if somebody knows of any organizations in those areas please let me know. I think to work in one of those areas would make much more sense than doing voluntary work at meals on wheels or so.

Thanks

Dan

WombatWombat

Hey Mate!

Have you thought of the Alternative Technology Association? They may have a branch in your area…….

Just a thought.

Nev

DanHowerDanHower

Thanks, I will get in contact with them. On the website one can become a paying member, nothing about volunteers, but you never know.

trandtotrandto

I had two projects I had been mulling over, starting a community based and funded biodiesel business. Not sure how that will work but the tech is there, I know they have a plant in Eucha doing that very thing. It would provide a small base for community employment in a dieing, aging rural area, as well as supporting local farmers to produce the necessary biomass and being sustainable.

Second project, my partner is keen to set up a community based green energy PV solar system, one loosely based on the Hepburn Community Windproject, albeit not as big, maybe 1/2 their size / budget ? She’s done some initial investigate project work. There is also a small, near 100 year old, still operating, hydro power station here as well, she thought to turn the area into a green tourist venture, showing off renewable energy generation. Albeit having tourists drive out ICE (Internal Combustion Engines) vehicles to view a green project seems on the surface concepts at odds with each other 🙂 but then we all accept Government services funded by coal mining so not that much different I guess. It would be nice to offer free recharge points for electric vehicles 🙂

Both projects are designed to make money for the community and be community funded ah la the Yakandanda co-operative model but haven’t really progressed very far. Not sure where you experience lies, helping get projects up and running or more the engineering end of things ?

DanHowerDanHower

Amazing! I mean amazing to hear there are other people with similar ideas to mine. 🙂

Did you ever hear about the diesel tree? I think there are some in Australia.

I have no experience with that diesel area, as mentioned before I was occupied with heating with biomass (and my family was very happy to have warm showers for eight months in the cold weather in Germany)

To answer your questions about which areas I have experience:

[ul]

[li]Promotion for projects as far as Internet and social media is concerned.[/li]

[li]Developing and refining ideas and solutions.[/li]

[li]Also the engineering side, and build whatever is involved.[/li]

[/ul]

I am not good at raising the necessary funds, unfortunately.

I would be very interested in learning more about your projects, even if it might not be suitable to meet the requirements of Centrelink as explained in my first posting.

I will see if there is some private mail function in this forum, and send you my contact details…

trandto post=354131 wrote: I had two projects I had been mulling over, starting a community based and funded biodiesel business. Not sure how that will work but the tech is there, I know they have a plant in Eucha doing that very thing. It would provide a small base for community employment in a dieing, aging rural area, as well as supporting local farmers to produce the necessary biomass and being sustainable.

Second project, my partner is keen to set up a community based green energy PV solar system, one loosely based on the Hepburn Community Windproject, albeit not as big, maybe 1/2 their size / budget ? She’s done some initial investigate project work. There is also a small, near 100 year old, still operating, hydro power station here as well, she thought to turn the area into a green tourist venture, showing off renewable energy generation. Albeit having tourists drive out ICE (Internal Combustion Engines) vehicles to view a green project seems on the surface concepts at odds with each other 🙂 but then we all accept Government services funded by coal mining so not that much different I guess. It would be nice to offer free recharge points for electric vehicles 🙂

Both projects are designed to make money for the community and be community funded ah la the Yakandanda co-operative model but haven’t really progressed very far. Not sure where you experience lies, helping get projects up and running or more the engineering end of things ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.