Aussies Living Simply

Where are you going in life?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING This Simple Life Where are you going in life?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    creeker

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

“Not very long,” answered the Mexican.

“But then, why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more?” asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

“I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs. I have a full life.”

The American interrupted, “I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat.”

“And after that?” asked the Mexican.

“With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! >From there you can direct your huge new enterprise.”

“How long would that take?” asked the Mexican.

“Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years,” replied the American.

“And after that?”

“Afterwards? Well my friend, that’s when it gets really interesting,” answered the American, laughing. “When your business gets really big, you can start buying and selling stocks and make millions!”

“Millions? Really? And after that?” asked the Mexican.

“After that you’ll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends.”

And the moral of this story is: ……… Know where you’re going in life… you may already be there.

Anja

Excellant story creeker.

deee

Fantastic! You’re right. I’m (almost) already there. Getting closer by the minute

D

Kirsty

Fantastic:lol: That’s going on the fridge

mertle

I made the biggest move 3 months ago!

Now we live in the country I am a happy camper! It’s all back to the simple life now. 😀

gleanert

Thanks Creeker, I needed that today.:tup:

I’m having a “my life is going no-where and every area of my life needs re-building day”, so reading that has reminded me again just to live in the now and that all is good today!

P.S. I love your dog, is it a labrador?

meg53

Great story Creeker :clap:. We may no longer be earning large salaries but when you can get up in the morning and walk on the beach and spend time with the family what more can you ask for?

I sometime wonder when this materialist society will wake up to itself and say there is more to life.

Cheers

-Meg

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

I’d seen that story many times; usually in ‘humour’ circles I frequent. However, for some odd reason, the moral that was with the original post from Creeker was never there. I guess it’s humourous without the moral but once that’s in it starts making you think; and a lot of folks don’t like that. Too deep and meaningful for them.

Gleaner; sorry to hear you’ve had a bad day. Can we help in any way? Here’s a hug for you anyway; just to remind you that you’re special :hug:

B

Fishdejour

That guy has my life although I play with my dog as I have no kids but apart from that…..

creeker

Gleaner wrote:

P.S. I love your dog, is it a labrador?

He’s a Pyrenees Mountain Dog, the bestest WOOFer in the world.

Pleased this brightened your day

Herbman

:hug: for Gleaner :hug:

Lovely story Creeker. Thanks.

Hummer
    Keymaster

:clap: :tup: :hug: 4 Gleaner!

jennifer g

Loved it!:clap::D

gleanert

:shy: Oh guys thanks so much for your hugs, you are such special people and just being on this site is helping. The thread topic “where are you going in life” seemed to trigger me :(, but the parable was what I needed to put me concentrating on the day to day pleasures of living.

I suppose its just human nature to want to sometimes go back to past good times than to go forward into uncertainty. Ohhhh the curse of memories and reflection, all unique qualities to us humans, but a curse all the same. I’m still grieving the loss of my mother and significant others…So Creeker’s story was a wonderful reminder to live in the moment, and don’t dwell too much on the past or the future (as our wonderful human minds like doing).

:hug:Thanks guys, I’m embarrassed to have let out some of my grief:shy:

purrsikat

Great story creeker, thanks! :tup: :hug:

Don’t be embarrassed gleaner, it’s all part of being human & being part of a community. I’m sure that no one here would discourage you from feeling how you feel, if it makes you feel better inside.. :hug: :hug:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.