Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What winter veggies are you planning to sow?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log What winter veggies are you planning to sow?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    SnagsSnags

Good to hear…….Tomatoes behave themselves better than most plants.They are very tough…I usually grow a lump in the beds and move them around or wait till they come up and move them around…..I then bury them deep to get more roots out of the stem…They also grow well from cuttings if your weather is warm enough…..My beetroots are coming up too…..yayyyyyy

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Yay for growing things! I still have fingers crossed for my heirloom tomatoes which haven’t shown up yet.

LioraLiora
    Participant

The garlics gave my a surprise after only 18 days in the soil!

LioraLiora
    Participant

Hmmm, that’s not very clear, trust, me… they’re “this” big! 😉

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

I have tomato seedlings up 2 in

LioraLiora
    Participant

Could it work this time, my attaching a photo? Maybe they’re shy and all this paparazzi business is too much, alternatively, I’m a technological failure
    😀

LioraLiora
    Participant

Hazzah! And pleased to hear your tomatoes are playing the right game Aussiedownunder
    =D>

SnagsSnags

We have had buckets of rain for a few days….well over 100 mm…..everything is moist and green….zuchinis have sprouted ,potatoes need to be covered in more dirt again as they continue to grow ,I have little caulis the size of 10c piece already……Planteed more tomatoes as they come up they geet moved to better positions……Something is eating my spring onions…..It looks like a grub they disappear in one night from below….maybe a witchetty grub ?????…theres no sight of the culprit but the plant either disappears totally or there are few chewed leaves left….also lost a new oregano plant in the same way…..

SnagsSnags

Capsicums taste better in winter up here….In summer they grow quick but thin walled with little flavour in winter it takes a few weeks longer but fatter and full of flavour,no fruit fly either…….I am picking this filthy hot capsicum,it looks like a regular banana chillie but dark green,wow is it hot,its as hot as a cayenne way hotter than a jalopeno or serano……Fruit fly goes made for them you can not get one in summer….Ive had a few over winter….still trying to decide if thats good ;p ,they are dangerously hot…..I made a pulled beef burrito using them and put some in some Mexican rice the flavour was excellent.

LioraLiora
    Participant

Goodness that capsicum really sounds like something! I wonder what’s eating your spring onions? Earwigs?

SnagsSnags

It looks like an Anaheim or New Mexico chilli but its not mild at all,it must have crossed with a way hotter chilli….Even my thai chillies arent as hot as this

SnagsSnags

Watered the spring onions with molasses it seems to be working so far no new loss,,,,,Its a good deterrent for witchetty grubs

LioraLiora
    Participant

That’s an interesting discovery. I must remember that. I’ve used molasses for nematodes before.

SnagsSnags

More chewing of lettuces overnight…I forgot to mention they disappeared along with the spring onion and one oregano…..last resort dipel just in-case its a grub that doesn’t hate molasses ,so far only some new spring onion seedling was touched but not all of them but lettuces had their roots removed.

SnagsSnags

My chewer took out the last spring onion and lettuce in the pot….I put in a basil and see if it survives….If it goes Im taking the dirt out and running it through a sieve…to see whats in there

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.