Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What winter veggies are you planning to sow?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log What winter veggies are you planning to sow?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

snags yes I also have the same on my beds, got peas and sno peas in them as well, – but where they went today, there isn’t any yet, got the framework but not the mesh
    also still have beans and cucs on one of them

LioraLiora
    Participant

Would that be a tee pea 😉

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

HA 🙂

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

We can’t do any more with winter veggie planting until we get more rain, it would be silly putting the seeds in while the ground is still very dry. Watering with the can just isn’t enough really to give them a good start.

SnagsSnags

I missed my winter planting,with going away for a month…Im in to the planting stage now…..The garden is a little sparse after no rain or love for a month but the recent rains have been good…..l put in some gailan,beans and tomatoes……..The white choko vine died but there are a few chokos so I planted a new one…..Chillies survived so did the Chinese broccoli, capsicums, kale eggplant,spring onions garlic chives,peanuts, rocket and parsley…I planted heaps of potatoes that had sprouted……I will get some peas and snow peas in and have another go at zucchini,Ive had no luck in the warmer weather fruit fly loves it and so does fungus

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Starting tomato seeds today[HA cos my hot house is sealed up]

Chilli survived and fruiting silver beet  always there  cabbage almost ready

Onions in and standing up schlotts looking good

HMM spuds must get some as I have a spare bed

SnagsSnags

I got some seedlings yesterday so winter planting is back on..Multicoloured caulis, broccolini and leeks

LioraLiora
    Participant

Hmmm nothing here yet. You guys are very inspiring, I’d better get cracking.

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Tomato seeds just popping up

SnagsSnags

I had a few pop up up in the pot that grew them before I left….Transplanted a few around ….Planted out some spring onions and leeks mainly in small bunches that I will replant as individuals as they get bigger.

LioraLiora
    Participant

Garlics are in 🙂

SnagsSnags

Im too late for garlic here,they had to be in in March,dont have much luck either ,its too hot maybe…I do get a few but not really worth the effort unfortunately ,I love good garlic.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

One of the things I am not good at is growing from seed. Recently decided to be more systematic and purposeful with it. “Do it like the City Farm”- a local permaculture farm. So I used an old plastic trolley as my seedraising system, and I am wheeling it into the sun or out of heavy rain. My after care has, in the past, been hit and miss, but I am determined to try to do better.

I have tomatoes, parsely, beetroot and beans in. Fingers crossed that some of them come up! I could do with a win or two.
    SnagsSnags

I struggle with parsley from seed…when it self seeds it will grow in a crack in concrete when you plant it it fails…Best thing is to sow a lot of seed where you want it …its a bit like carrot and doesnt love to be moved…..Beans I direct sow too major thing Ive noticed is give them a good soak and then leave them if you keep watering them they rot…..l also direct sow beetroot..its hit and miss plant more than you need…..When sowing seeds soil moisture is key a nice fine soil mix with good drainage and good water holding makes it a lot easier… some seeds need regular watering others dont some need to be planted deep others dont…its a good learning experience,,,I use old plastic seed punnets for some seeds because there is less root damage when transplanting transplanting

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Just checked -beetroot are coming up! *happy dance*. 

I did manage to transplant two parsley plants and a self sown tomato, which have all survived. Three beans looking very happy. 
    I bought some ‘proper’ seed raising mix in order to try to get a good result. I am also reusing one of those seed punnet type trays. 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.