Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What winter veggies are you planning to sow?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log What winter veggies are you planning to sow?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Now that the heat of summer is over, I hope, it is time to start sowing your winter veggie crops what do you have in mind?

DH is preparing the beds for me and then we will put in all the root crops like carrots,parsnips, swede ( one of my favourites )  also beetroot.
    Then there is cabbage, broccoli and caulies. and various beans. Later on I in go the potatoes.
    I like winter in the garden because that is when things grow best here.

SnagsSnags

Winter is a good time here to. If I wasnt going away I would plant,leeks,parsnips,broccoli,tomatoes and beans.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

got brassica seedlings to put in, plus heaps of leeks, silverbeet, kale

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I haven’t even thought about it yet ……….but I have some peas that will go in this month

SnagsSnags

mmmmmmmmmmm forgot peas I usely put in some snow peas when its cooler.
    I would probably put in some Zucchini too as it doesnt like the humidity over summer here.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

the bed I was going to put them in is in permanent shade in winter, so have to re think where they’ll go??
    had this bed organised specifically for the brassicas, – now have to reorganise

HumanFriendHumanFriend

basically just lots and lots of parsley because the summer lot has gone to seed and I love parsley with everything

SnagsSnags

Me too I can tabouleh till the cows come home,love it.Cant beat olive oil, garlic, parsley, lemon juice/zest on anything grilled either.

LioraLiora
    Participant

Yum :smiley:

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

planted my peas and sno peas,will put some asian greens in when it cools down a tad
    love tabouleh myself, but haven’t had  enough parsley
    got the brassicas spread all over the shop as well

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I’m still weeding and chop and drop…. I should have heaps of parsley I had 3 self seed.
    I’ve done lots of cuttings …. rosemary 4 pink and 4 blue, cottage pinks 4 red and 15 pink and a lemon balm. Nasturtium are growing nicely all have 2 sets of leaves, will get and start some peas this week along with asian greens but will remember to cover them the frogs got in and pushed all the potting mix out from the last lot, callistemon are coming along well.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

just set up trellis for peas, hope the whole thing doesn’t collapse??

SnagsSnags

Did you go tee pee ? I’ve put up permanent rio mesh in the middle of all my beds,its the best thing Ive done everything crawls up it no need for tomatoes stakes.Just costs a bit at the start unless you find some hanging around.

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Don’t suppose you have a photo

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

tee pee with bamboo stakes, baling twine wrapped around them x 2
    no sorry can’t remember what I did to get my other photos on here, went through photobucket at the time, but wouldn’t work for some reason last time I tried

just thouht, could be cos I turned it to private??? will investigate tomorrow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.