Aussies Living Simply

What trees to plant?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales What trees to plant?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    COB

Good morning all,

We’re new to this site, so not sure if this is the correct format but we’d realy appreciate information on what trees to plant.

We have a little farm in the South Burnett area so we do get some frosts. We are wanting to plant trees for stock shade in the paddocks, which can get quite hot and dry and also in a gully where it has underground water and can get quite boggy so would be looking at stopping erosion here.

Prefer at least some of the trees to be multi use such as timber down the track etc and reasonably quick growing. All suggestions appreciated.

Andre
    Keymaster

Welcome to ALS COB

I’m sure you’ll find lots of good info in here! :tup:

If you pm me your email address, I have a spreadsheet I made up for a permaculture course which may have some of the info you are after.

Cheers, Andre

kerrieb

Have you got a local Landcare or equivalent group in your area they might be helpful as to what does well there, also in many areas they have nurseries with quite cheap tubestock (this often establishes better anyway) which may be useful if you have a large area

Judi B
    Keymaster

I can advise what is frost and drought hardy.

There is a Landcare based in Kingaroy, the Nanango Markets are a good place to get cheap plants, plus there are Garden clubs in both Nanango and Kingaroy you can get loads of advice from members as well as some cheap plants.

The best plants I have here are:

Carob as it is both frost and drought hardy but a little slow to take off plus I use the leaves for mulch plus the cows we had here loved to eat the leaves.

Silky Oaks grow well leaves again used as mulch and the flowers attract bees and birds.

Hakea grows fast so makes a good screen plus flowers again will attract bees and birds.

Casuarina grow well and are hardy and sound lovely when the wind blows through them.

a gully where it has underground water and can get quite boggy so would be looking at stopping erosion here.

We have gullies here and I would fence them off from stock to stop them churning it up, Lomandra is good planted in gullies as it holds the soil together and reduces soil loss if there is ever enough rain to get the gullies flowing again.

marz

Hi COB welcome to ALS from another South Burnetter :wave::wave:

COB

Thanks All for the tips and Andres spread sheets ,Gives plenty to work with .Will checkout the markets for selections from the suggestions. Thx COB

In the boggy spot you might like to try river red gums – given that they are clearing them off the Murray with gay abandon, yours might be the last remaining stand in a few more years time.

Judi B
    Keymaster

I forgot to mention SGAP in Kingaroy last night, my brain was sort of fried from looking at used cars all day :confused:

In the boggy areas you could plant melaleucas and callistemons or you could also try digging out the gully a bit to form a billa*xxxx* and plant some eleocharis spikerush so as to encourage birds which can be the best insect control going not to mention the entertainment.

COB

Thanks Judi B. We haven’t been to the Nanango markets as yet but have heard they have a variety of natives reasonable priced. Last time we were going to go we had the wrong week-end they were on. Is there any trees in particular that you find quicker growing and easier to maintain? I’m after quick growing more for the fact we will need to keep the cows away while the’re getting established. THe soil on the farm is much better than we’re used to working with so that’s a bonus. From what we’ve seen most of the south Burnett has far superior soil to the Brisbane area.

Judi B
    Keymaster

COB I wouldn’t say the soil here is very good but it is better than the stuff we had in Brisbane shale is so hard to dig, the stuff here is a black sticky clay when wet which isn’t very often:(

It’s easy to remember when the markets are on 1st Saturday of the month except when the Nanango show is on then it’s the last Saturday in March.

I’ll get together a bit of a list for you but I’m still looking at used cars and going crazy

marz

Hi Judi, What is SGAP in Kingaroy? And do the councils give free trees up here like they do in the city?

Judi B
    Keymaster

SGAP Society for Growing Australian Plants.

I don’t think this council will be giving anything to anyone, before amalgamation Nanango Shire Council used to give us a free tree if we payed our rates on time and most of them died from being pot bound or the wrong tree for this area.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.