Aussies Living Simply

What to do with eggplant???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    busybeebusybee

I have some eggplants that I got in my home delivered organic fruit and vegie box and I don’t know what to do with them. :shrug: Never eaten them before so I thought someone here might be able to help me.

karyn26karyn26

You can use then in vegetable lasagna use them instead of pasta sheets.

Will dig out recipe and put it up later.

Or google eggplant and see what comes up.

gartenfeegartenfee

make a chunky sauce with eggplant,zuccini,capsicum,tomatoes,garlic,onion and italien herbs. serve with crusty bread or pasta.

bbq them,drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper and salt and crushed garlic.yum

roundthebendroundthebend

My all time favourite is to peel, slice 1/2 inch thick and slit a pocket in each piece and put cheese and ham in the pocket, then dip in flour, egg, breadcrumbs and fry….yummo.

SonyaSonya

I love making ratatouille with them and adding them to pasta sauces. Essential ingredient in baba ganoush (grilled eggplant and garlic dip – YUM!). Here’s some recipes from Jamie Oliver’s site. http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25294

Bon appetit,

karyn26karyn26

Sorry having trouble finding that recipe,

sue esue e

put one in the oven next time you have it on and bake it until soft. Then scrape it out, mash it with some garlic, tahini, lemon juice and chopped parsley, a dash of olive oil. you can whizz it in the food processor if you like it pureed. makes a great dip! 🙂 🙂

NoodleNoodle

I like to cut them into round 1-2cm thick slices. Pan fry then top with pizza-like toppings or just a bit of ham & cheese and grill for a few minutes.

BelBel

My kids love them sliced into rounds, floured, egged, crumbed and fried. They are so sweet when cooked like this. They’re like vegetarian schnitzels.

Google moussaka which is the lasagna-type recipe mentioned above. Basically, you grill slices of eggplant/zucchini/capsicum and layer it with a cheesy beschamel sauce and tomato sauce. Delish! Very handy summer recipe for gluts of eggplant & zucchini.

fruitfulfruitful

i’m growing my first ever eggplant vine this year, my friend says they are really nice in a vegetable stack, don’t have any recipes but you should be able to find something on the internet.

busybeebusybee

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry I didn’t get back for a few days…..medical issues here but I will look at all those recipes and try some soon .

THANKS!!!

Forest RavenForest Raven

My favourite is ‘Nasudengaku’ (eggplant grilled with Special Miso Paste) from ‘Now Vegan’ by Lynda Stoner.

Very simple, you microwave or steam half pieces of eggplant until a bit soft, then cross hatch the flesh, leaving skin intact, heat the miso sauce (miso, sugar, sake, mirin – I improvise actually, never had sake!), grill or panfry the flesh side of the ‘plants, then serve with the sauce on top! Yum!

busybeebusybee

Thanks!

mossymossy

One of my fave things to do is to roast it with a heap of other vegies and then serve it up with home made hummus 🙂

I made an impulse purchase today…my local market had eggplant on sale and they looked to good to pass up so I bought two. Now… I don’t know what to do with them. I am not in the mood for eggplant parm or anything heavy like that. I was thinking of cutting them up into large cubes, marinating them over night in something good, skewering them tomorrow and putting them on the grill… Eggplant kabobs. Serving them over some kicked up wild rice or couscous? Any ideas? Do you think marinating eggplant overnight will be to much?

:wave: :wave: :wave: :clap:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.