Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What to do??

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

There is no reason a parent can’t take the extension area of their childs learning into their own hands… I did this and my children loved it… These kids were way ahead in some aspects of their learning and behind in others ie they were average… I just wanted to be involved in the way they were forming their views on the world around them…. I learnt heaps as well, lol… Make up your own program as a teacher will never be as interested in your children as you are…

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Thanks for the responses everyone. My son’s teacher is not far from retirement too Greth but her response when we spoke with her last week was fantastic. She is taking long service leave next term and I feel so much better now that they will keep him interested and motivated. I think we are lucky in that his school is prepared to work with us and he has an absolutely lovely group of friends. We are sooooo thankful we have that as that was a big part of the decision to keep him where he is. He loves his school. We might have had a hassle in getting to where we are but at the moment it appears to have been worth it.

We are taking on a lot of his extension at home too Starting Over and his teacher is now supporting us in that. Even to the point of asking him to bring in whatever he does at home that is suitable to share with his class or reading group that he is working on at home. We took him to a national park yesterday and we bought him a solar powered jumping frog that he has to put together and he is so excited to take that into class to share about solar power 🙂 . I’m stoked about that :laugh: . You do learn so much yourself and we are just feeding him what his interests are (at the moment that’s frogs :laugh: ) and learning ourselves.

StarryOneStarryOne

Home schooling has been the only place my kids have been able to learn at THEIR own pace.

Completely agree. I have one girl who’s well ahead, two girls about average, and a special needs child. Plus a two year old who is scarily intelligent and seems to be more like a four year old (seriously………..I don’t necessarily think it’s a good thing). Homeschooling is the only way I can cater for them all individually.

I was like the OP’s child at school, and I did get a lot of extension work and ended up compressing years to complete school faster-but still look back and remember school as being boring, filling in time and playing the system. Plus, when I got to Year 12 and had to study for the first time in my life, I had to learn how to very quickly! Not sure if it’s relevant, just thought i’d say it anyway 🙂

your 2 year old is probably learning through osmosis from your other kids… :tup:

MuddyfeetMuddyfeet

Hi,

A quick reply, but to be honest, I haven’t had time to read all the responses. Go to the Education Department’s website (in your state). There should be guidelines for assessment of “Gifted and Talented” children. The Department’s policy on how that is assessed, and what can be done to further an G&T child should be there (the NSW site does).

After reading that site, it gave me reason to seriously evaluate my child academically. Sure she excelled in certain areas, but not in ALL areas. I decided that for my child, skipping a grade would not be in her best interests. Instead, I substituted my OWN material for the school’s work! I refused to be read inane, boring books, and gave her classic (and not so classics) novels to read and enjoy, and sent them to school with her to read at reading time!

Sometimes, you just need to take charge and say, well, this is what you will do with my child. You will always regret doing too little for your child, than too much, and at their young age, you really are their only advocate.

Having said this, one also needs to learn to pick your battles! You can win the battle and lose the war, so to speak.

Regards,

Muddyfeet

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.