Aussies Living Simply

WHAT THE!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    vegdownundervegdownunder

:jawdrop:

I got up this morning to take a walk around the place and inspect the food gardens following out torrential (but most welcomed) downpour yesterday evening.

I looked into the Tomato and Capsicum beds to find these:

The first, looks like that expanda foam in a can stuff, but the others are all different. One even looks like an unpleasant dog poo :confused: which is what i thought had happened at first..

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Chris

vegdownundervegdownunder

Bugger!:uhoh:

The other photo’s didn’t work on here :shrug:

You can see them on this page.

http://www.grow-your-own-vegetable-garden.com/vegetable-garden_problems-pests.html

Should I get rid of them, in particular the one growing up the tomato stem?

Cheers

Chris

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Some sort of fungii and I would be getting rid of it asap

WozWoz

It is commonly called “Dog Vomit Fungus” for obvious reasons, although actually a mold.

According to this page, “Control measures: None Required. This species is relatively harmless to plants and animals.”

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Did it come in new mulch? I’m always getting weird fungus from my tip mulch… It dies after a couple of days…. Mine is mainly fluro orange…

AshramAshram

Reckon with a bit of trial and error, you might have yourself a new antibiotic there 😆

phoenixxinOzphoenixxinOz

:jawdrop: Indeed!

Makes me kinda glad we live where any sort of mould/fungus doesn’t even get a look in:tongue:

There really IS something good about living anywhere…the secret is to remember that:lol:

Ave a goAve a go

Nothing wrong with a bit of Fungi.

In a couple of your pics the mulch look like bark/wood chips.

Fungi ‘eat’ the wood and convert it to soil/humus…. That’s my understanding anyway….

Fungi – beneficial element…

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Reckon with a bit of trial and error, you might have yourself a new antibiotic there 😆

😆

vegdownundervegdownunder

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting back here… Had to go visit the “mother in law” 300k’s away for the weekend..

Dog Vomit… how appropriate..

The mulch is actually well rotted stable manure. My nayyybours 😆 run a horse “breaking” service etc for race horses on a relatively large scale, so I have a ready supply.

I find it is really good after a year in a bed, the first year is a bit slow to get going as it continues to mingle with the soil.

It’s been down on the bed for several months, so I was surprised to see it all spew up from the ground :rip:(sorry, couldn’t resist that one) after so long..

If it’s harmless, it can stay for now. Will keep a close eye on it..

Cheers

Chris

FishfoodFishfood

An old gardner told me one day carfull of manure from race horses something about antibiotics

ejaneaejanea

You are probably lucky to have fungi growing so well. Watch this….

http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_stamets_on_6_ways_mushrooms_can_save_the_world.html

vegdownundervegdownunder

We actually get mushrooms and toadstools growing all over the property at different times, even the stereotypical red cap, white spot one’s..

Problem is i have no idea which are good or if any at all.

Not wanting to dissolve my liver and die a horrible painful death, we leave them all alone.

I guess a good book on identifying them is needed..

Fortunately the “Dog Vomit” in both name and appearance is less than appealing.

Cheers

Chris

marigoldmarigold

These are slime moulds – snail caviar!

Go out tonight with a torch and you are likely to find every snail in the vicinity having a dinner party:D

I’ve been wondering if there is a market for the stuff as a bait:lol:

bushybushy

or you could get fungus like this one in your front garden……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.