Aussies Living Simply

What plants like wet feet, baking hot summers and the wind

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Ornamental Gardens What plants like wet feet, baking hot summers and the wind

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Our orchard is fenced with an old mesh weld schoolyard fence. Our yard can flood up to this fenceline with an event like the latest east coast low but the water does not come any higher. I would like to hide this fence with a climber or hedge of some kind. I have already tried climbing roses, hardenbergia’s and pandorea’s. Some roses where they do not get such wet feet have survived and are growing but the hardenbergias (which are the latest climber I’ve tried) are on their way out, the pandoreas were a complete non event. This fence covers a large area.

What plants are likely to cope with the occasional flooding? This area also bakes in summer and cops the wind so needs to be indestructibe. I am nearly at my wits end trying to find something to hide this fence other than ivy or bamboo (I really don’t want either of these). It would be handy if the plant was useful other than just being ornamental. Any ideas???? :shrug:

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

My first instinct is to say Red Gum, they will withstand all of that to the best of my knowledge. Probably not what you’re after though.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Welllll you are right Lady B they do withstand all that, we have plenty around us :laugh: and they are enormous, not to mention widowmakers :blink: Ideally, I need something either hedging or no more than a couple of metres high. I’ve just done some research and come up with viburnum opulus which also has other uses but can’t find anywhere which sells it :S

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Silly me another I should have thought of water gums “Tristaniopsis laurina”. Here I am answering my own question :laugh:

TheExpertVGLTheExpertVGL

I am agree with Lady B.

mossymossy

My friend got flooded to the roof top in the Bris floods and his passion fruit vine survived. That’s functional and would hide a fence 🙂

porgeyporgey

I would consider clumping bamboo. I know you are against it but it would act as a great screen, survive the conditions, and can be harvested for both stakes/poles/posts around the garden (very useful) and the foliage as carbonaceous compost/mulch/bedding material. The shoots are also tasty. You could also consider grafted Flowering Gums. There now of the genus Corymbia (C. ficifolia), are beautiful in flower and short in height.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

You could grow bottlebrush or melaleuca…. don’t mind damp feet, they can be pruned, have flowers that bring in the birds and bees and you always need bees in the garden.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

:laugh: :wave: I forgot all about this thread I started :whistle:

I planted some water gum tubestock across the bottom of the orchard. All but one have survived so far and are growing well. I’ll have to get some pics tomorrow and put them up. They’re still small but have new shoots. I’ve planted my bobbs in front of the water gums and so far the bobss are outgrowing the watergums second to none. 😆

We are toying with the idea of clumping bamboo due to it’s other uses of stakes etc. I have tried bottlebrush in the past but have found that the caterpillars move faster than I do and I have lost 3 now. Melaleuca grows naturally around here and is like a weed but I like to consider it a ‘firestarter’ if a bushfire comes through so we mow it to the ground to keep it under control. Our neighbour has let his grow and I dread to think what will happen if a bushfire comes through but he’s a bit of a :S and pyro to begin with. I still have one fence to cover. I have climbing roses and natives like banskia and dwarf gums down one side and the water gums across the bottom so I’m seeing how they go and I might put them up the eastern side if they survive this summer’s rainfall.

So far the only passionfruit I’ve been able to grow here is in a clay pot which DH accidently dropped and the bottom broke out of it. So, we put the passionfruit in it to raise if off the ground and it’s happily growing with a self seeded tomato sheilding it from the roos. I have lost them before in the cold through so I’m hoping it grows and gets established before winter.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

According to my book here – Grow what where:

Sunny Moist

These plants require a combination of permanently moist, well-drained soil conditions and lots of sun to ensure they survive, flourish and flower.

Abrotanella forsterioides – Cushion plant

Bellendena montana

Blandfordia cunninghamii,grandiflora, nobilis – Christmas Bell / Large Christmas Bell / Small Christmas Bell

Brachycome rigidula – a form of daisy

Caltha introloba – Marsh Marigold

Celmisia asteliifolia, longifolia, sericophylla – Snow or Silver daisy / / Silky Daisy

Cephalotus follicularis – Albany Pitcher Plant

Diaspasis filifolia

Diplarrena latifolia – akin tot he Butterfly Flag

Drosera arcturi – Alpine Sundew

Ewartia catipes, meredithae, nubigena – / Tasmanian Eidelweiss / Native Edelweiss

Gleichenia alpinia – a Coral Fern (cold weather version?)

Herpolirion novae-zealandiae – a form of lilly

Hibbertia stellaris – a form of Guinea Flower (I gather it looks like a star)

Mimulus prostratus, repens – prostrate version / Monkey Musk

Olearia frostii – Daisybush (frost tolerant?)

Oxalis laceta – akin to Wood Sorrel

Ranunculus anemoneus, granticola, gunnianus – Buttercups

Stackhousia pulvinaris

Trachymene humilis – akin to Rottnest Island Daisy

Tricoryne platyptera, simplex – from the lily family

Xyris complantana, gracilis, usulata – akin to Tall Yellow Eye

However (after all that typing) further research indicates none of these are particularly large or good hedge plants .. :blush:

:whistle:

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

There goes 33 minutes of my life I won’t see again .. :p

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Andre post=331126 wrote: There goes 33 minutes of my life I won’t see again .. :p

:laugh: Thanks anyway Andre. Now for the non latin terms to waist another 33min :whistle:

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Dang.

On it …. but will now have to cross reference with my Encyclopaedia Botanica …

:whistle:

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Ok.. for what it’s worth.. I did what I could.

Now.. let me go watch the thunder & lightning storm we’re having :woohoo: :tup:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.