Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What plants have you ‘inherited’?

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden What plants have you ‘inherited’?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

When we bought the property there was a peach(white flesh),nectarine and pear tree struggling to survive in what is now the veggie garden. They have produced some fruit over the years but always on the small side, well this year all three are producing larger fruit and plenty of it. I actually made some peach jam for the first time.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

When we bought here, there was a nectarine, a cherry, a lemon and a mandarin/clementine/somethingorother.

The cherry never produced anything and has since been cut down, the mandarin or whatever produces small, dry fruit that I never bother with and will probably go the way of the cherry pretty soon. The nectarine has some good years, some not so good, and the lemon just produces so many big, juicy lemons I’m forced to drink more gin. 🙂

The ‘garden’ (about 2 acres) had several large trees, claret ash, golden ash, a liquid amber, a beautiful conifer, camellias, rhododendron, a white cedar, lots of sacred bamboo, a couple of snowball trees, a fuschia, and numerous smaller plants, along with lots of roses.

Of course, when we bought here it was just at the start of that dreadful drought and as we ‘commuted’ from Sydney for a couple of years, a lot of the smaller bushes and plants couldn’t survive without water, but the larger trees have continued to thrive.

I got some dahlias from an ALS member some years ago and they re-grow each year. Unfortunately I rarely get to see a flower open as they seem to be one of the favourites of the resident wallaby population. Roses are the ultimate fave though. The only rose that we ever see a flower on is the climber that the wallaby can’t reach.

Something eats the rhubarb too.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.