Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What plants have you ‘inherited’?

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden What plants have you ‘inherited’?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    HumanFriendHumanFriend

Do you have old plants that are donkeys’ years old that you were left by someone? What are they?
    I have an ancient, gnarly jade tree that is at least fifty years old, and an awesome, extremely tall happy plant that I suppose dates from the 70s (now flowering for the first time in memory because I moved it recently off the verandah to under my mulberry tree .. stunning perfume, too!)
    Also, a very long-suffering, big bird’s nest fern which I think was in vogue in the 80s. All these are from my mum who is not able to look after them now.
    I’m interested to see what other plants are long termers for people 🙂

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I have some indoor plants that were mums, one is a lily, with the white flowers
    the other is I think an aspidestra

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I also have an old birds nest fern that I inherited from an elderly lady. It lives under and oak tree and seems quite happy there. Also a few old roses that have to be at least 50 years old.

SnagsSnags

My frangipanis are cuttings from dads.
    I also have all his veg seeds that go back 50 odd years.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

oohh wonder if some would still be viable??

SnagsSnags

50 odd years is how long he has been naturally selecting them so they are all new.
    Im just trying to get them to adapt to Qld were he had them adapted to Melbourne.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

oh got it

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

best of luck there Snags, a vast range of climate difference there.

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Not plants but these pots were mums so they date back 80 years

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I like them

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Around the time I was born, give or take a few years as verbal history is a bit weak, my mother got some giant Russian garlic.  When I was a teenager I grew heaps of the stuff and would try to work out how much to eat and how much to replant each year.  When I left home all of the plants were left behind and most things died but the garlic kept on going.  After I got married my mother gave me 3 cloves to grow.  I guess I have been growing and eating it all my life.  My kids are not interested in it yet, perhaps when they are older they will appreciate it as a family heirloom.

SnagsSnags

My dad had a Russian garlic that was given to him about 40 years ago or more.
    You cant kill it in Melbourne,Ive killed plenty here.

Participant

Just visited a mate in lakes entrance and he gave an American tomato for seed this is his first year growing them all were over 1 kg  and a good taste

SnagsSnags

You will need yo get a bigger salad bowl

Participant

just processed the tomato and the seeds are drying between paper towels :)>-

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.