Aussies Living Simply

What plant would be good to climb a pergola?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up What plant would be good to climb a pergola?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mashelly

What plant would be good to climb a pergola? and does not shed its leaves and do well in hot hot summers and frosty winters?

Cheers

porgey

I love jasmine as it is quick growing, evergreen, has a lovely perfume and tolerates temperature extremes. However, like all plants it will drop leaves & flowers and will always need a prune to maintain shape & cover.

Ashram

The Orange Trumpet creeper (Pyrostegia venusta) is a quite pretty evergreen vine, and you get your colour in Winter not summer like most others. Its from South America and is drought and frost tolerant but prefer a warm climate and should do well in WA. Can be a little hard to find though.

mum2twins

Nellie Kellie Passionfruit??

mashelly

I looked up the Orange Trumpet creeper its beautiful the fact it flowers in winter is kinda nice really a nice splash of color..

got 2 passionfruit already wanted something a little different thanks thou

weaver

Wysteria, Banksia rose -evergreen and so pretty you could do a white and a yellow and that would look beautiful. Banana passionfruit -tolerates cold very well. Grapevine -ornamental or fruiting. So many to choose from and not enough pergolas! :laugh:

mashelly

Ok …I bought 2 white banksia roses and 2 yellow ones… I also bought a jasmine climber…2 Hardenbergia Happy Wanderer(climbing voilet)..and seeds for a white climbing hydranea

thank you everyone we should be well shaded around the property,once everything grows

bluezbandit

Wow how big is this pergola? Must be huge with all those plants!

Deb

porgey

Just what I thought Deb,

mashelly

i have a few place that i need to cover..one for the front porch..the roses over the new pergola we are building at the moment another over the the brew house to help keep it cool

Even tho they do shed their leaves, grape vines provide shade in summer and let the sun in in winter, supply fruit and last but not least, give mulch.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.