Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What plant is this ??????

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Weed Identification What plant is this ??????

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    earthworm42earthworm42

Hi

Found this on the side of the road and don’t recognise it at all. the wood seems very pithy and easy to break.

plenty of small seedlings coming up too.

greatful for any help with ID

thanks

ew42

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

That looks like a castor oil tree/bush. Grows very fast, but not very nice in my opinion.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Yes it is the castor oil plant (Ricinus communis). It is a weed and very toxic, the seeds can kill.

http://www.lrm.nt.gov.au/weeds2/find/castor#.UqHE7UIaySM

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Found this in Wikipedia.

The castor seed contains ricin, a toxic protein. Heating during the oil extraction process denatures and inactivates the protein. However, harvesting castor beans may not be without risk.[8] Allergenic compounds found on the plant surface can cause permanent nerve damage, making the harvest of castor beans a human health risk. India, Brazil, and China are the major crop producers, and the workers suffer harmful side effects from working with these plants.

I didn’t realise just how bad this plant was until reading Steve’s link and probing further.

Give the thing a wide berth, in my opinion, or if it’s on your property, destroy it.

earthworm42earthworm42

thanks everyone didn’t think it grew all the way down here in melbourne.

cheers

EW42

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.