Aussies Living Simply

What killed my lizard?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DinyDiny

I had a lizard in my garden, watched him grow up from 20 cm to 50 cm. He grew quite tame and watched me go past without scuttling away. Yesterday I found him dead in a cupboard, I saw his tail hanging out and thought he was having a sleep but next day he was still in the same spot. I have a rat poison under the house but I buy these huge blocks called Tomcat. I don’t think they would eat that, my chooks leave it alone.I didn’t see bite marks on his body so wondered what killed him.

BelBel

Snail bait? If not on your property, perhaps someone else’s? Or perhaps he ate some mice/rats that ate the Tomcat bait. Is it the kind of poison that persists in the animal it kills? If so, there’s a good chance your lizard ate a dead/dying poisoned mouse which in turn killed it.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I agree with Bel….

Poor lizard 🙁

BlueWrenBlueWren

What a shame – that’s a fair size lizard.He wasn’t just trapped in the cupboard somehow was he and starved, or no water?

I use Racumin rat bait sachets when I have to – I was told it’s not so dangerous as the others if another creature eats a poisoned one.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

The active ingredient in Tomcat is bromethalin.

from the net: Secondary bromethalin poisoning can occur in dogs or cats who eat a mouse killed by Bromethalin.

I dare say the same thing occurd with your lizard .. as has already been suggested.

🙁

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.