Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What is this plant please?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Weed Identification What is this plant please?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    porgeyporgey

Hi ALSers, last spring I planted a whole lot of seeds as green manure and have enjoyed seeing them grow and identifying the ones I did not know. However, the following plant has grown really well and whilst it is rather appealing I dont know what it is. Can anyone help with a name for this plant? Cheers Porgey. 🙂

Flowers.

One meter tall plant.

Leaf.

Its just about to start dropping seed so I would like to know what it is so I can take the necessary action.

BobbeeBobbee

Bet ya’ JudiB will know Porgey. :tup:

:hug:

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

oohh she answered this for BW just a couple of weeks ago, – pretty sure it’s a weed

don’t know the name of it,

wasn’t on here, but FB, it’s a weed

BlueWrenBlueWren

I’m fairly certain, yes certain, it’s the Verbena bonariensis , Purple Top, Cluster Flower Vervain that someone in our permie group ID’d for me recently.It is appealing, but is a “weed” and self seeds readily.Remove and bag flower heads, remove plant,if you don’t want them.

Just read the previous posts while I was posting.Yes it was Judi, closely followed by Megan! :laugh:

porgeyporgey

Thanks for all your replies. I had a look at Verbena bonariensis and it is very similar if not exactly the same. From what you have written and what I can see it does have huge self seeding potential but the bees are loving it at the moment so will need to proceed with caution. Thank you all, have a good day, cheers porgey

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

If you don’t think its Verbena bonariensis then it may be Verbena brasiliensis Brazilian Verbena both look very similar but either way it is a weed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.