Aussies Living Simply

What is strong flour?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    WozWoz

>>I thought Woz was a female and having a baby soon

“Hmmm, ” Says Woz, looking at his tummy, “I can fully understand how one might make that understandable error. However, looking a little deeper one would realise one’s mistake.” 😉

Woz

GiannaGianna

I don’t know if it’s feasible for you Tully but Simply No Knead send via Australia Post. I’ll put the link here for you just in case. You find your postcode and the weight and you can calculate how much it costs to post. I use these products and they’re really good.

http://www.snk.com.au/html/s02_article/default.asp?nav_top_id=63&nav_cat_id=158

Oooh no, I just checked the postcode for Alice Springs and it’s very expensive. :p

AdukiAduki

Tullymoor wrote:

building lifeboats

Tully, was your name Noah in a previous life???

bplumbplum

I use ordinary flour – Home brand, Black & Gold, for bread, without extra gluten & have pretty good results, just checked the packets of plain & wholemeal & protein levels are 10.8 and 11 respectively, so they’re on the ‘strong’ side . . . . . used to use Simply No Knead & they are good too. Still use the black bread tins i got from them about 20 years ago!

Tulls, Coles in Forster sell a strong breadmaking flour in 5kg bags, I think it’s called Wallaby brand. Mrs Kooka uses it sometimes but also gets 25 kg bags of 80% wholemeal flour from Organic Feast. I’m sure she will see this thread tomorrow and say something.

P.

TullymoorTullymoor

Bobbee, I love ya and you’re completely mad :rol:

Thanks bplum 😀 See, this is why I haven’t ever really done the whole bread making thing, cos it’s all tooooooo harrrrrrrdddddddd :confused:

The one time I made sour dough with my own leaven, I used spelt I think. The loaves turned out bee-you-di-ful (Dan Lepard actually said so! 😆 )

so then I get his book, thinking it’ll be easier from a book than all that info on the net and I’m confused again. :p

I’d rather use ordinary old white flour than buy into the whole ‘have to have such and such brand’ with whatever chemical-ly things are in it.

The making the leaven and making the bread (eventually in a wood oven) is a challenge enough in itself without information overload and confusion about the dopey flour :rip:

I’m blowed if I know :p

BobbeeBobbee

Tullsee, :hug:

Every now and again I come over all funny………….which is better than crying into my beer.

Good luck with the bread making. :tup:

PS. They sell Strong Flour in our Stupidmarket. 🙂

PPS. Some people say not ‘funny’ but ‘stupid’ :shrug: makes me no never mind. 😆

This probably sounds bizarre but years ago when I used plain wholemean flour or plain white flour I added a crushed Vitamin C tablet when i was proving the yeast. The bread rose well and lasted well too. I can’t remember where or how I learned to do that. I had forgotten it until this thread. This was before I used bread improver.

Tully if you want a recipe for bread that stays fresh for ages I have a recipe in an old book. It is a no fail one _ it was my first ever effort and worked from day one. Ps. All simple ingredients.

GiannaGianna

This probably sounds bizarre but years ago when I used plain wholemean flour or plain white flour I added a crushed Vitamin C tablet when i was proving the yeast.

I’ve read that somewhere too Marie. May have been in an old Simply No Knead book. 🙂

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

😆 Poor Woz!!!

With the breadmaking thing….. Just jump in and do it…. Even if it flops it still is yummy when first out of the oven…. I have bravely stopped using pre-mix bread in the breadmaker to mixing my own ingredients (well it’s dunmovins recipe really) so I’m getting there…. Next is the oven made stuff but we eat it so quickly that I don’t think they even taste it!!

I’ve heard most organic shops sell DEMETER flour. It’s a hard (or strong) flour for breadmaking. Demeter also sell organic Rye flour.

I believe demeter only send to organic shops once or twice a month

so you would have to order what you want well in advance.

I’ve been making our own bread now for years, experimenting with different flours early on, and have found Demeter is the best by far.

I.

Sorry Tully, I should have added I.M.H.O.

B.T.W. do you have more than 24 hours a day where you live?:lol::lol:

WozWoz

Tully, just pop over to your local Coles or Woolworths and pick up a bag of Laucke’s Wallaby Flour and you’ll be set.

Oh, no, wait a minute, that won’t work, well, the pop over bit anyway.

Seriously, if you can get hold of the Luacke Wallaby Flour that will suit your purposes perfectly. perhaps the Mail Plane Man would help if tempted with the promise of a fresh homemade loaf or two to take away.

Woz

deeedeee

Gluten in the protein in wheat flour. Its also in spelt, rye, and oats, although to a lessening amount in each, which is why these flours make denser bread. Its also the thing that most people who are allergic to wheat are actually allergic to. Strong flour has lots of gluten and is bread flour. Cake/pasta/pastry flour has less gluten. Gluten is the thing that holds the air in your dough and the stuff that makes your dough stretchy. Kneading develops the gluten. If you’ve ever hand kneaded spelt or rye dough, you’ll have noticed that it never gets as elastic as wheat dough. Sour dough works on a different principle: the long rising time allows the natural yeasts to start digesting the gluten and starches in the flour, which makes bubbles of gas, which makes holes in the dough. The dough gets softer from this digestion by the yeasts and therefore allows the gas to make it rise. This pre-digestion of the protein, if you like, is one of the reasons that people who can’t tolerate ordinary bread can sometimes eat sourdough: the protein has been modified somewhat. Its also the reason that rye and spelt make lovely sourdough and fairly brick-like yeasted breads, unless mixed with some wheat.

Demeter farm mill is a great source of wheat, rye and spelt flour for breadmaking. They also have pasta flour that would probably work in cakes. I just use their standard flour for everything. Everyone seems to eat my cakes quite cheerfully! Demeter will post, but it’ll cost an arm and a leg to your place, Tully. Still, you could ring and ask them if they have a local outlet.

Laucke makes great breadmix and does organic flour, from memory (doesn’t send it to NSW). If they are local, I’d go with them. They have a great website, with lots of troubleshooting info for breadmaking.

Cheaper flour is supposed to have more gluten in it, which would explain why people get good results with Black and Gold. Isn’t it nice when simple really turns out to be the best for the job!

Gluten flour, BTW, is just that: gluten extracted from wheat. You add it to make the dough rise better. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is supposed to extend the action of the yeast and improve the rising of the dough. I don’t add either and my bread is fine, although I don’t make sour dough (cos I’m too bone idle).

Another thing to keep in mind is that each batch of flour will be slightly different and you will have to adjust the amount of liquid you add. If you keep making bricks, add more water. The dough needs to be fairly sticky – much stickier than those nice pictures you have in your head!

Tully, I’m really interested in your leaven recipe. A friend had success with one made from potato peelings. It was bloody sour, though. I couldn’t stop eating it. The rest of the family hated it.

D

TullymoorTullymoor

OK, I’m phoning Lauke’s to see if they have Wallaby Flour (that’s gotta make ya bread bounce!) and Afghan Traders (Greeny shop) to see if they stock Demeters. If not, I’m going with Black and Gold though I bet that’s only in 1kg bags 😐

Deeeeeeeeeee, I’m going to go with Dan Lepard’s one this time. He adds sultanas and yoghurt, though you don’t need to.

He gives blow by blow ‘structions, with photos, on getting your leaven going and then lots of recipes using the leaven. Lots of other recipes too from all over the world, beautiful stories, photos and scrummo looking bread. Can recommend the book :tup:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.