Aussies Living Simply

What is causing this happening to eggs

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock What is causing this happening to eggs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jeanie
    Participant

Poor Jaymie the chook I think is having Gyno problems the eggs she laying are either double yolk,thin shelled,tiny etc the photo will show she had grit,greens laying pellets etc what is wrong:shrug:

marz

All 8 of mine get the same food – fruit & veggie scraps, mixed layer grain with molasses pellets and are let out to scavenge for at least an hour every day usually longer. I get little ones sometimes too. Sorry,I don’t know what the answer is 😐

marz

These are 50g and 15g.

gemjill

G’day

we occasionally get eggs with a weird, rough texture and discoloured, like the ones in your photo, also the soft shelled.

Feeding protein (tinned sardines occasionally) sorted out the soft shells, but don’t know what causes the other. The eggs themselves seem ok, we’ve had no double yolkers (sadly), will be interested to hear what everyone else thinks

cheers

Tullymoor

Jeanie love, I thought it’d be Tully with the Gyno probs, not Jaymster! Then you could blame the hot flushes :p

Gianna

Very timely thread Jeanie. I’m getting normal eggs and some gigantors. 106g, 108g double yolkers. Poor chooky. Ouch! 😆 Some thin shells too.

Jeanie
    Participant

What do they put in those laying pellets I might investigate could be the problem:confused:

I was told by a local chook breeder that chooks should have a minimum 17% protein in their diet to get good eggs and meat out of them. Most commercial mixes are only 15%. Mine get a mix of mixed grain and layer pellets, open range for at least half a day every day, and vegetable scraps in their runs. No problems with egg sizes, and the hen who arrived with rough, thin brittle shells has started laying good sound smooth eggs (which I am sure is a huge relief to her) shortly after moving onto this diet.

A predominance of one sort of feed might cause the yolks to change colour, but if they are getting a balance diet with the right amount of protein, then I can’t imagine it would cause such wild fluctuations in egg size, shape and consistency. So maybe is it a physical disorder as you suggest Jeannie. Have you tried asking on Back Yard Poultry? I have found them pretty reliable and helpful with any questions I have raised.

gremmbles

We had an old chook that used to lay tiny eggs occasionally. They were “no yolkers” Only every happened to the one chook. Another old chook we have lays very thin or no shelled eggs. Both were commercial hybreds. Our other chooks lay the occasional double yolker.

You don’t say what breed or age your chook is. I have found that commercial hybred like Isa Browns seem to burn out very fast, that’s why egg producers only keep them a year or 2. I don’t think their poor little bodies can cope with laying so many eggs without a rest (going clucky is quite functional in my opinion. gives their reproductive organs a rest)

I doubt that her diet is to blame, it sounds fine. I suspect her laying life may be over (in the sense of productive eggs) but she will remain a great pet, bug catcher and fertiliser factory for years to come.

Jeanie
    Participant

I only got these chooks this year as pullets from a breeder their Isa brown cross,no egg today

gremmbles

It’s unusual for a a young chook to have gyno problems but I guess anything is possible. I have no more answers, sorry. Can you ask the breeder?

happyvalley

Owww Gianna, Poor chookies 108gm:jawdrop:

burntmill

A chook is born with every egg she’ll ever lay just like a woman is born with all her eggs. when you open up a hen they are like a clump of caviar. As they pass through the system they get all the nutrients and coatings until they emerge 24 hours later. As they get older the system breaks down like an old machine and the eggs are released less frequently, take longer, and are larger but thinner shelled. A hen that is very old and past laying will still have some eggs but they only lay once in a blue moon. Problems are almost always dietary or stress related. sudden changes in weather, a new dog in the neighbourhood, things we don’t consider can scare the pluck out of chickens and throw the laying cycle into turmoil. Some professional chook showers won’t use pellets because of the inconsistency and dubious quality of the ingredients. A young chook laying erratically has some problem that can be addressed either externally or internally until you’ve ticked off all variables. No matter what you do things happen.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.