Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What has worked for you in the garden

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log What has worked for you in the garden

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

A couple of years ago I was given some giant western red cedar seeds among others. They had to be germinated in the fridge and so on, well 3 got to that stage but only I survived potting up and finally planting out. That tree is now 3 foot high and doing reasonably well considering our rainfall is a lot less than its home in America. We had to protect it from the roos by using a 44 gallon drum as a tree guard.

AlisonCAlisonC

So I am guessing that if you are planting that and defending against roos you probably have a big space for it to grow into?

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

yes, 22 acres of rocky hill side is where I call home

MistyHMistyH
    Participant

I love western red cedars ballamara. I hope your surviving tree outlasts the Roos. I lost so many trees to Roos at our last place I gave up planting them.

SnagsSnags

You would think it would smell to medicinal ?

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Snags roos will eat any thing down here when the plants are small. I had a male and female juniper growing all be it very slowly, the roos demolished the female plant and now the male plant is prostrate and struggling. Which reminds me I have to get another female it I live long enough to get any juniper berries.

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Oh Juniper Berries jin time

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.