Aussies Living Simply

What has worked for you in the garden

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log What has worked for you in the garden

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ballamara
    Keymaster

A couple of years ago I was given some giant western red cedar seeds among others. They had to be germinated in the fridge and so on, well 3 got to that stage but only I survived potting up and finally planting out. That tree is now 3 foot high and doing reasonably well considering our rainfall is a lot less than its home in America. We had to protect it from the roos by using a 44 gallon drum as a tree guard.

AlisonC

So I am guessing that if you are planting that and defending against roos you probably have a big space for it to grow into?

ballamara
    Keymaster

yes, 22 acres of rocky hill side is where I call home

MistyH
    Participant

I love western red cedars ballamara. I hope your surviving tree outlasts the Roos. I lost so many trees to Roos at our last place I gave up planting them.

Snags

You would think it would smell to medicinal ?

ballamara
    Keymaster

Snags roos will eat any thing down here when the plants are small. I had a male and female juniper growing all be it very slowly, the roos demolished the female plant and now the male plant is prostrate and struggling. Which reminds me I have to get another female it I live long enough to get any juniper berries.

AUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Oh Juniper Berries jin time

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.