Aussies Living Simply

What did you harvest today? (Continued)

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables What did you harvest today? (Continued)

• This topic has 306 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by BelBel.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 307 total)
  • Author
    lisannelisanne

The first from any of my winter crops – some spinach!

sue esue e

beans peas , broc, spinach which all went into a lovely vege curry and spinach and cumin naan bread. lemons, the last of the oranges.

marzmarz

Well yesterday 🙂 Silverbeet, chard, mandarines & lemons.

karyn26karyn26

Today I harvested some carrots from 2 different wicking beds one lot were short and fat the others long and thin.

I have some silverbeet in the fridge also so they’ll be part of tonights dinner.

sue esue e

broc., silverbeet,garlic chives,eggs. lemons to make juice for flu infected DH & DS. 🙁 peas.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Today when I dug over a section of garden to get it ready for some corn, I found this little lot of sweet potatoes from last summer. This came from an area of 1.5m x 1.5m. We had so many this year, I left a lot in the ground because we couldn’t use them all.

Note how the ends are missing on a few. This is from the chooks getting stuck into any tops that were sticking out of the ground. They love them! (I also put the fork through a couple)

These particular sweet potatoes originated in Alice Springs. My neighbour went to visit her son over there a few years ago and brought some back with her. Her vines grew into my place so I appropriated a few vine cuttings. The rest, as they say, is history…

They are a very tasty sweet potato!

To see how much the chooks love them, her are a couple of sweet potatoes in another bed that the chooks just got into…

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Nice haul of Sweet Potatoes DrStevil 👿 :clap:

karyn26karyn26

Here’swhat I grabbed this morning notice the carrots on the right side of the turnips are intertwined.

very close planting but I’m surprised to see they are a decent size.

veggie boyveggie boy

Rats are a greater issue for me with my sweet potatos than the chooks. The buggers dig trenches to find and then chew on the tubers :S

Steve post=321240 wrote: Today when I dug over a section of garden to get it ready for some corn, I found this little lot of sweet potatoes from last summer. This came from an area of 1.5m x 1.5m. We had so many this year, I left a lot in the ground because we couldn’t use them all.

Note how the ends are missing on a few. This is from the chooks getting stuck into any tops that were sticking out of the ground. They love them! (I also put the fork through a couple)

These particular sweet potatoes originated in Alice Springs. My neighbour went to visit her son over there a few years ago and brought some back with her. Her vines grew into my place so I appropriated a few vine cuttings. The rest, as they say, is history…

They are a very tasty sweet potato!

To see how much the chooks love them, her are a couple of sweet potatoes in another bed that the chooks just got into…

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

veggie boy post=321297 wrote: Rats are a greater issue for me with my sweet potatos than the chooks. The buggers dig trenches to find and then chew on the tubers :S

I don’t have the rat problem but I watch the chooks get into them when I let them out of an afternoon.

They love my silverbeet too! :angry:

dierichdierich
    Participant

Two large purple caulis & loads of broccoli for us (and not a bug in site 🙂 ), and sent DD home with lots of lettuce & silverbeet.

Very happy that our chooks are back on the lay too, after a couple of months of none at all, then 1-2 a day for another month from 17 girls we’ve had 8-10 each day for the last 3 days. Just in time too as they were about to sent to a friend’s farm to live out their non-laying days. We’ll keep them a bit longer, but they’ll still end up there one day.

brymarkbrymark

A dozen eggs, the last of the cauliflowers and broccoli, romanesco and some beautiful coloured carrots in purple, orange and white. And a few asparagus spears.

LeeAndJLeeAndJ

Broccoli, silverbeet, sugar-snap peas and spinach.

Spinach (which the dog stole half of), snowpeas, lemon thyme and rainwater. :tup:

gartenfeegartenfee

a hand full of juicy sugar snap peas for our lunch.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 307 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.