Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What did you harvest today?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables What did you harvest today?

Viewing 6 posts - 601 through 606 (of 606 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

pxdave – your basket of goodies looks lovely!! Glad everyone is finding something to harvest in the garden. Zucch’s and squash are coming on thick and fast here and the tomatoes are coming along. Everything else is finally getting a kick along now that summer’s decided to finally start. Donut peaches have been a big hit with the kids and DH just picked our first bunch of grapes. Yum!

BlueWrenBlueWren

Donut peaches have been a big hit with the kids .quote]

Bel, may I ask where you planted your donut peach, how much sun/shade etc, and how old it was when it began fruiting? I had never seen them here in QLD – may be a good local reason for that, although stone fruit are grown in my area !!! – but my daughter had some from the shops in WA and I was hooked.I have a young grafted tree I need to plant out.Any advice? It’s the most expensive “plant” I’ve ever bought so want to get it right!Thanks.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

BlueWren post=301847 wrote:

Even though most of my garden died in the flooding I picked 3 zuchs, 600gr beans, 4 spring onions and 2 cucumbers.

Hey Judi! Some GOOD news! So glad you are still finding some veg.600gr beans was a good haul!Just hoping we are not going to cop it again tonight but I think we might – severe weather warning still current for this area and I can see lightning to the SE.

10.06pm just checked the radar again. Not looking good for you Judi…….

Sorry …… very off thread.I was thinking this was Judi’s Our Patch thread.

I was glad to get that many beans but it should have been more I planted about 100 bean seeds and the rain came and over half of them rotted I was going to save the seed for winter soups.

We didn’t get a lot of rain but the 11.5mm was enough to flood the driveway again.

BelBel

BlueWren post=301904 wrote:

Donut peaches have been a big hit with the kids .quote]

Bel, may I ask where you planted your donut peach, how much sun/shade etc, and how old it was when it began fruiting? I had never seen them here in QLD – may be a good local reason for that, although stone fruit are grown in my area !!! – but my daughter had some from the shops in WA and I was hooked.I have a young grafted tree I need to plant out.Any advice? It’s the most expensive “plant” I’ve ever bought so want to get it right!Thanks.

Hi Bluewren. I’ve planted it up in the raised portion of our yard. I reckon it’s only been in the ground about 12 – 18 months and it’s already fruiting well. I thinned the fruit because I was pretty cautious with it being a young tree, but it’s still got plenty of good sized fruit. It’s a gorgeous tree – beautiful sweet fruit and it seems to lend itself really well to a good vase shape. The tree is about 3m tall, I reckon. The only problems I had were one branch with some mild leaf curl and some aphids early in the season on the new growth. This tree has exceeded my expectations by far. I did put some rotted cow manure and compost in the hole before I planted and it’s in a very slightly raised mound. Our soil here is very heavy clay, so it obviously doesn’t mind the conditions. I’m amazed by how tiny the stones are in the peaches – plenty of flesh! The ants have managed to get into a few of them, but don’t seem to cause too much damage, so I haven’t bothered trying to control them at this stage. This is the tree:

narellehnarelleh

the passionfruits are starting to wane (at last) only got half doz

Queensland nut crop is nearly done (not much this yr) so only a handful today

eggs

The last of the banana’s picked from the bunch today – I have processed over 140 banana’s through my kitchen in a week!My fridge freezer is half full and i draw in the small bar freezer is as well – to say nothing of the containers of passionfruit frozen – I am down to only 1 large basket in the kitchen!

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

After almost 2 years and 61 pages, time to move to a new thread.

Harvests continue here

Enjoy.

Viewing 6 posts - 601 through 606 (of 606 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.