Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What did you harvest today?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables What did you harvest today?

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 606 total)
  • Author
    Shangri LaShangri La

a few cherry tomatoes, eggplant, kale, parsley, basil, snow peas and sugar snap peas – and made a chicken and pasta dish with them (didn’t think I’d be too popular if I threw in a turnip). Am i too late to plant spuds in the sub tropics? I went to Bunnings a fortnight ago for seed spuds but there weren’t any.

Judy B – your snake beans are coming along well now but we ate all the triffids before letting them settle in although a few have grown back after I replanted the root bit so I will have to be more patient!

GrethGreth

I used my turnips to make a gratin, shangri la, appreciated by the whole family including toddler teenager and preschooler, none of whom is used to turnip!

grated and fried in butter, then into gratin dish with cream and a layer of breadcrumbs browned in butter. A few herbs tossed in, garlic leaves chopped and parsley mostly I think.

Other herbs – sage, thyme, marjoram. spring onion, snow peas and sugarsnap peas. Planted and harvested basil seedlings (well I only needed a leaf or two)

One largish wheelbarrow load of black mustard, now to have fun stripping seeds!

Shangri LaShangri La

Thanks for that Greth, I was looking at my turnip collection just a minute ago and wondering what i could do with them as it is getting to warm for roast dinners here now.

I bought some sage ages ago (a friend for parsley, rosemary and thyme!) but haven’t used it. I don’t make stuffing (as in roast chook) – what do others use it for?

rainbow chard, parsley,loquts,white and black mulberries( tho they are a little waterlogged with all the rain weve had, still taste nice) and lemons

roundthebendroundthebend

Shangi La………Sage goes really well with cheese, chicken or pork dishes and also helps with digestion of fatty foods.

Just starting to feel human again after 5 weeks with a really bad chest infection and enjoyed getting back in the garden. So picked huge amounts of shallots, celery, snake beans, purple beans and french beans and processed them for the freezer. The chickens and ducks are excelling with 12 chook eggs today and 5 duck eggs, will have to get baking and freezing with these also.

Shangri LaShangri La

Thanks RTB. I knew about sage and pork and that’s what we are having tonight so just ducked out to pick some. How do you eat it with cheese? As for the fatty food – maybe i’ll discover the next diet secret, lol I should be having a spoonful of sage with my chocolate fix every night. Last month of uni so I have a serious chocolate addiction happening.

RTB, glad to hear you are feeling better, sounds like you’ve had a rough few months with dengue as well.

GrethGreth

Could use it chopped in a cottage cheese or similar for a dip, or similar.

also maybe a potato bake with bits of bacon and a cheese sauce (You could grate some turnip into there too!)

Sage hair rinse is a natural dye for dark hair.

HerbmanHerbman

Our first zucchinis of the summer 😀 No doubt I will be less excited come March when we’ve been eating zucchinis for 5 months 😉

Shangri La Sage makes a good tea to help you focus on study. The myth is that the name ‘sage’ came because the sages drank it as a tea (or the other way round). Anyway, just take a few leaves and steep them in some hot water. It tastes nice and does help with focus. I wouldn’t drink it every day because herbs are powerful but maybe a few times a week when you really need to concentrate.

Did you know the rosemary can help with your memory in exams? Just have a sprig near you when you study and then take a sprig in your pocket in the exam (you can also use essential oil but don’t need to). It’s a great memory trigger. You can also sip it as a tea, but be aware that it can stimulate blood flow so it’s not good to drink it every day.

Shangri LaShangri La

Shangri la goes to kitchen to make a cup of sage tea!

narellehnarelleh

Ditto what herbman says – even try essential oils as the smell can slao trigger memmories (eg I associate the smell of sandalwood with my mother as she uses it in her repellent – the kids call it grandma smells, and it triggers memories of her)

ccBearccBear

Beetroot, preserved 7 x 500mm jars yesterday and will get about another 6 today me thinks.

Should be ready to eat next month and will keep us going till Xmas

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

Herbman wrote:

Our first zucchinis of the summer 😀 No doubt I will be less excited come March when we’ve been eating zucchinis for 5 months 😉

lol I’m not even planting any this year,

Shangri LaShangri La

did you overdose on them last year calliecat? I did that with cucumbers a few years ago and kept taking them to the Op shop – they were happy!

I am just starting to get zucchinis now, before this they kept rotting just as they got started but the second plant is in a better spot. Not much chance of surplus with 1 plant though!

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

lol, no, but for the space they take up in the garden, I thought that this year, will just buy when I want a few and when on special – fingers crossed, will have plenty of other stuff to eat from the garden

and there is only so many jars of pickles one can make with the excess 😆

been planting all morning :tup:

Shangri LaShangri La

I’m silly….mudhen sent me a herb book in the Op Shop – best I read it!!

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 606 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.