Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What did you harvest today?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables What did you harvest today?

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 606 total)
  • Author
    roundthebendroundthebend

Haven’t been on this thread for ages so good to see some good produce coming out of gardens:D

Just paw paws, passionfruit, starfruit and some lettuce out of mine today.

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

G’day there long time no paw paw:lol:

ThisildoThisildo
    Participant

Tassie Tiger I have a yummy way of preparing cucumbers you might like to try.

Slice the cucumbers, add a dash of vinegar, 2 teaspoons of sugar dissolved in approx. half a cup of water, 1 teaspoon of finely diced ginger and it’s ready to eat.

You can buy the ginger diced in jars at the supermarket or you can dice your own.

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Thanks thisildo:tup: Will this preserve them as well as I have quite a few to eat in one sitting:confused:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

This may not seem a biggie to some but for us it is, this is the first crop of sweet potatoes we have havested that we will be able to eat. For 19yrs I’ve been trying to grow them here and every year they were chewed up, termite riddled horrid looking things.

GrethGreth

Tiger, if I wanted to preserve them would soak in brine overnight, then into boiling vinegar and sterilized jars. Brine helps things keep colour well. A few caraway or dill seeds wouldnt go astray for flavour either.

Not harvesting at the moment except a few tomatoes and basil, other herbs of course available.

Does it count if I just planted my own collected black mustard and clary sage seeds, and soaking my beetroot prior to planting?

:tongue:

jennifer gjennifer g

Yay Judi, it is good news!

I picked some pepinos today, haven’t tasted them yet, hope they’re good.

I have had trouble getting these in before some creature nibbles through them too!

ThisildoThisildo
    Participant

No TT, I don’t think it will preserve the cucumbers. It’s more like a fresh salad. Kept in the fridge they will last a few days. It’s a family favourite so usually the bowl full is eaten at one sitting. Cucumber and ginger is a nice combination.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Nice haul Judi B, you must be over the moon after 19 years. I’ve tried growing them first time this year, looks as if I will get 1 or 2 small ones.

Picked the last of the Granny Smiths, 2.3kg, over 5kg in total, first harvest of Apples from the tree.

jennifer gjennifer g

So jealous busylizze, would love to have a decent harvest of apples cause we love them so much, but we have not had too much success witht the tropicals and they’re only small. couldnt live off the supply for sure….wahh

urban-wombaturban-wombat

Today.. just a couple of weeds:D

kerriebkerrieb

1 egg and a kilo of beans mostly purple king.

GrethGreth

Three eggs and a barrowload of chookie compost

FeyWindFeyWind

Various greens (sweet potato, mallow, rocket, basil, beetroot leaves and silverbeet), a few beans, an eggplant and shallots for a quick dinner with some bacon and sweet potato.

From my FIL’s garden: dried out purple king beans, dried out butter beans, cuttings from a pot plant, a cucumber (lunch) and an eggplant. Got my bean seeds for next year :tup: . And it was all going to go to waste.

karyn26karyn26

Today I harvested quite a few spuds and a zucchini

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 606 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.