Aussies Living Simply

What did you do today?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up What did you do today?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,276 through 1,290 (of 1,696 total)
  • Author
    SnagsSnags

Whipper snippered the grass in the vineyard and under the clothes line it was getting a bit snakey

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

lovely lovely rain – finally!!

LioraLiora
    Participant

I hope all are coping with the heat. We harvested a pile of potatoes, a nice haul for a pile of clippings and moved the pot plants into a shady protected spot. Off to get Apple crates tomorrow for a few raised beds. :relaxed:

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Apple crates make them wicking beds you wont be sorry

df418df418

Aussie, I love wicking beds so much I have converted half the veg garden beds. Still need topping up every week, but they last at least a fortnight, even with 35+ degrees and dry wind blowing. Great for above ground crops.

SnagsSnags

Where is everyone getting the crates from?

Participant

df418 all my garden are wicking beds now but I have them all set on the same plain and plumed together and a float valve maintains water level

LioraLiora
    Participant

We went to the local apple orchards, they cost between $10-$50 depending on condition. ADU do you recommend lining them with plastic? I’m wondering how I’m going fill them with soil and compost, they’re huge!

Participant

If you cans be bothered read from here this is 5he story of real wicking beds
    http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=663&start=2160

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

DS has a bumper crop of peppers, I was wondering if I can do with them?

SnagsSnags

Roast them peel them ,dad freezes them in bags so he can have them in sandwiches all year,you can jar them make a romesco sauce,I like them grilled peeled a bit of olive oil salt vinegar and micro planned garlic served with grilled chicken Mediterranean style…They go well stuffed too, or pickled ,dad even stuffs pickled ones which is really nice

LioraLiora
    Participant

ADU, I’ve looked at your thread and your wicking beds look marvellous. So I assume plastic lining the apple boxes is way to go, Ag pipe, gravel, shade cloth, vic ash saw dust then the compost/soil will work. On our previous property we had wicking beds and they were very successful, staying moist even after 3 days of 40 deg.

Participant

Careful of the sawdust as it breaks down you will need to feed with lots in nitrogen
    Also try making an air void in the bottom[see my thread ]

LioraLiora
    Participant

Thanks for the saw dust info, I had hoped alpaca poo might have balanced it, but I’ll go easy on it. And add an air lock, like your milk crates… I’ll check recycling place. Thank you :smiley:

SnagsSnags

Alpaca poo is great as they pee and poo in a nice little pile

Viewing 15 posts - 1,276 through 1,290 (of 1,696 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.