Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What did you do today?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up What did you do today?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 1,696 total)
  • Author
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Stuck inside all day proof reading reports.

BelBel

I’m hearing you Judi B! We only have satellite NBN and don’t get mobile phone coverage. The satellite NBN works really well which is great, but they’ve just changed the allowances, so we have a lot less download (20 gig per month) for more money. We have a wireless modem, so we use internet on our mobile phone to send messages (using whatsapp app) due to no mobile phone coverage.

SnagsSnags

Under the previous government the rules where if you had a home phone or satellite you where eligible for the NBN when it rolled out.
    Obviously things changed.
    With an election not that far away I wouldn’t be surprised if the real NBN was reintroduced with the original conditions.
    Still would take years.
    Though if there wasnt a change of government I would have had the real NBN now not the promised hobbled one in unforseeable future

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

We are in a blackspot for everything and had to get satellite for TV not really impressed as we don’t get to see any local adverts …. you see an advert for something you had been needing and then all hopes of a good deal are dashed as its for Alice Springs/Darwin or Townsville.
    Satellite TV drops out in heavy rain so it would be the same for internet.
    What really annoys me is that some people who had ADSL got satellite, so they took a place of another who wanted internet or  was still on dialup.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

put another quilt top together,

MistyHMistyH
    Participant

We’ve built a chicken run off the coop so in went a few fruit salad trees and arrowroot to go with the lime and pigeon pea plants.  Creating our own chicken jungle 🙂 .   We’re on wireless internet here at our new house.  The cost of satellite was incredible!

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Frosty here this morning, I think I will  put off weeding until later.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

just watered the carrots, turnips and beetroot, that was the extent of my gardening,
    patchwork going on here

GilianGilian

Good Morning,

Spent part of the weekend bagging up Organic sawdust in the hope that someone will buy it at the Farmers’ Market next Saturday. First time I’ve had anything to do with sawdust, except to sweep it out the door! Views on its usefulness on the Internet are mixed.  While loading up the sawdust from the paddock we attracted the attention of the timber man’s small group of  cattle – two highland cattle amongst them, gorgeous.  I wondered if there hair can be spun?  Also collected a trailer load from somewhere else of cow manure for our garden.

Spent part of Sunday watching husband at Archery shooting arrows with his longbow, doesn’t interest me.  Then finally getting the minutes typed up for Wednesday’s meeting – took me 5 weeks to get them typed up, hope they are ok, now for the Treasurer’s report, we have very little money, so it won’t take long.  Hopefully the Farmers’ Market will top up the bank account.

Black Krim Tomato grown at the Community Garden.
    Cheers,
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

We have finally connected a smallish tank to the hen house, now we just need some rain to fill it. DH is wrestling with chicken wire to secure the girls revamped home.. Foxes here are a problem

dentydogdentydog

Wasn’t actually today but over the weekend, did some weeding – does anyone have any tips on dealing with oxalis (soursob) it is an absolute pain. Have even come through the raised beds (which have about 50cm of mulch/soil in them)… takes over our whole yard in winter!

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

patchwork again here, haven’t done any for a good couple of years, and I’ve discovered the duel feed on my new machine,
    so lots to catch up on and this will pretty much be it for a few days 🙂

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I have had some success killing oxalis by using white vinegar and a little bit of dish washing detergent in a spray bottle. You might have to give it a couple of goes.

GilianGilian

Hi there,

This morning I made 5 min. bread with spelt flour, taste and texture are ok but it didn’t rise very far.  I think that is normal with spelt flour. Green tomato chutney is bubbling gently on the stove, for selling at Saturday’s market.  Also need to put something in the biscuit/cake tin for afternoon tea.  My go to recipe is Anzac biscuits, but I’ve made them so much I’m sick of them!
    Trying to come up with a good way to store my seeds instead of tossing packets into a box along with going-to-get-around-to-it loose seeds.  I’m going to try monthly and store seeds when I hope to plant them.  I have tried storing seeds alphabetically at the Community Garden.  It looked nice and tidy but I kept forgetting what was in the containers and do you store Spring onions under ‘S’ or ‘O’?
    Cheers,
    KasaliaKasalia

Rough time with my dementia mum, hope it improves.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 1,696 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.