Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What did you do today?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up What did you do today?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 1,696 total)
  • Author
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Thanks Lady B, might try it later as it sounds a bit complicated. Your photo is stunning.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Vale Professor Stephen Hawking.

MistyHMistyH
    Participant

Hi all, I’ve ducked in for a look around, it’s been a while! I’ve just harvested my first eggplants and I’m looking for a tried and tested moussaka recipe if anyone is happy to share?

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Moussaka. Made heaps of it over the last few weeks, I freeze it (without the bechamel sauce) in foil trays. I also freeze eggplant slices ready to make either this or eggplant parmagiana.

This is based on Delia Smith’s recipe.

500 g mince (beef or lamb)
    3 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices (roughly 1.5 cm)
    250 g onions – sliced
    2 cloves garlic – chopped
    Olive oil
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1/2 cup red wine
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley
    salt and pepper

Heat oven to 180 degrees. Line baking trays with baking paper. Put eggplant slices on trays, brush with oil and put in oven until browned slightly. Turn over, brush with oil and return to oven until golden.
    Saute onions and garlic in a little oil for 5 minutes then add meat. Stir well to break up lumps.
    Mix tomato paste, wine, cinnamon and parsley and pour over meat. Season with salt and pepper.
    Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring regularly.

Bechamel sauce
    45 g butter
    3/4 cup plain flour
    2 1/2 cups milk
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    pinch grated nutmeg
    2 eggs – well beaten
    salt and pepper

Melt butter in saucepan, add flour and cook for a minute (basically you’re making a white sauce). Add milk and stir constantly bringing to boil. When sauce thickens, stir in cheese, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
    Set aside to cool a little.
    Now depending on your flour, this could be very thick, so you may need to add a little extra milk. You want it thicker than you’d normally have white sauce, but remember you’ll be adding eggs, so don’t over dilute it or you’ll end up with it too thin.
    When it’s cooled a little (maybe 10 minutes), whisk the eggs into the sauce.

Layer eggplant and meat in baking dish. Pour bechamel sauce over and bake in oven at 180 degrees until golden brown.

Enjoy!

If you do make it, let me know how it went.

ferhiljoeferhiljoe
    Participant

mulched all the garden beds
    placed pot of lemongrass in greenhouse
    trays of seeds placed in smaller greenhouse
    took our old wolfie (dog) for a walk on thee beach
    so peaceful so empty though

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Today I walked around on grass that didn’t crunch…. we had a spot of rain 11mm…. I do hope those that need it get enough rain.
    Yesterday I watered the garden (that is why we had rain) and was being followed by 4 two lined dragons they were licking up the water off the leaves poor things, I do have bowls of water out but not in the vegie garden.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

We have had just enough rain to get the onion weeds to grow and that is about it. Hopefully you will get some more Judi B, the wheat and oat crops around here are barely 6 inches high. It looks like another year of putting the sheep on them.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Ballamara looks like you and I are the only ones that come here now……………. so sad was a great group once

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Sure was Judi B. Facebook has a lot to answer for.I guess we have been here that long we are too stubborn to throw the towel in.

MistyHMistyH
    Participant

Hellloooo 🤗….I’m still here 😬. I’ve thrown in the fb towel and most other forums. I’m only still on ALS & permies.com .

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

MistyH I haven’t seen many others when I come to look, this forum was great 🙁 but since fb not many come here I was one of the early members here and this place was so alive… and could always find someone to chat with the shoutbox was great with Tullymoor miss her and Bushy was a fountain of information and Sassy good to chat with….. OH the good old days

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Sure were Judi B, I wonder how Elizabeth’s rare breed pigs are getting on.Lady B pops in occasionally,since the forum format changed snags and aussiedownunder have disappeared mores the pity.

MistyHMistyH
    Participant

I wasn’t one of the early members Judi but I do remember how much I’d love to sit down with a cuppa for a chat. Fb isn’t as personal & I find it’s more of a ‘me’ platform than a community like ALS. I loved the pumpkin growing competition and the giant vine I had taking over the yard at our old house. I think I’ve still got the photo saved somewhere 🤣.

I even remembered the name of Nevs blog yesterday to find plans for a solar oven & I still have my crocheted bags I bought!

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Good morning MistyH, Judi B and I have been on the forum since feb/mar thirteen years ago. Maybe we can still spark some interest from others to join in the conversation. The dog on your avatar is very cute. Anna, my Labrador(avatar pic) passed away a fortnight ago aged 15.
    Unusual for us, we had a frost this morning that has knocked the seedlings about I am hoping they will come good.

MistyHMistyH
    Participant

Good morning ballamara ☺️. I’ve been here for at least 6yrs going by some of my old posts I found this morning. Prob longer.

I’m so sorry about your dog 😓. She was beautiful. They are part of the family aren’t they. The pup in my avatar is a year old now we got her a little while after our old dog passed away last year. I still miss him. This little girl is a right handful but a complete sook.

This morning was certainly cool here in the SE Qld mtns and we put some avocado trees in in the weekend so I’m hoping they’re ok. I only though we’d need to protect them from the marauding wallabies at this time of the year, not frost.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 1,696 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.