Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What did you do today?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up What did you do today?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,621 through 1,635 (of 1,696 total)
  • Author
    calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

sorry neighbours, hopefully I have banged in the last of the steel posts, I live in town now lol
    I have a meter wide strip between the garage and the fence, up the back behind the garage are the tanks, I want an archway over it, not sure if or how it will work, but I’m giving it a go, lol
    have lots of left over 2 inch inch pipe that I used for another project, had a light bulb moment lol, if it doesnt work as an arch, I can still use everything, I’ll just use it along the fence, and along the edge of the tanks, and grow things along, not over.
    I hate mowing, (have I ever mentioned that?? 😛 ) I am determined to do something with that strip
    anyway, working on it, 🙂
    I’m also working on getting the small birds here, the wrens, robins and finches, so I am making a new bed, (I keep putting in new beds and stuffing up the run off, so I need to either dig a drain, or trench, or make a hugelkulture type thing,
    anyway, I got a finger lime, for the birds, also got a couple of globe artichokes, I don’t eat them, I just like growing them, love the flowers, also got some tumeric and galangal,
    shadehouse got pulled down, re done, much better/bigger now, plus I finally got to incorporate the double bowl sink I’ve been carting around in forever,

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

knew there was something else, had a very exciting 10mins yesterday, saw my first cucumber, first zucchini, and also have lots of roma tomatoes appearing, now that was exciting for me, I haven’t grown them in over a decade cos of the fruit fly, but now I have beds that can be fully enclosed with netting, yay 😀 these are for preserving and making sauces with,

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Sounds very productive@calliecat!

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Garden is starting to look good now we had some good rain last month, tomatoes starting to fruit, cucumbers will be ready in a few days, the zuchs are a disaster this year I’d put in about 8 and we had a storm and the zuchs were only at 2 leaf stage and hail hit all but 1, tromboncino not doing well but the cactus has heaps of flowers forming

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Nothing cheers the garden up as much as rain, eh? No watering regime can compare.

Looks like our rain in Perth is gone and the long dry summer is setting in.

Garden is being productive though -blueberries and mulberries are coming on a treat!

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

I hate mowing too -that is why we have no grass! LOL

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I am so glad ALS is coming back to life, but I am having the devils own job at trying to navigating it.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Yes it is confusing the way the first post in a thread might be quite elderly, but the next one down is the recent one. Maybe this will improve over time.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I have been weeding the gardens and got around to taking some photos today

LioraLiora
    Participant

That looks fabulously productive Judy 🙂
    I’m struggling to find the posts, I keep losing them.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I am having to re think how we protect our treelings from roos, rabbits and now the unpredictable hot weather. My plan is to put shade cloth around each as well as chicken wire and star posts. The one draw back is then how do I weed around them? I have to do something as the current hot spell has killed 14 of them.Any suggestions?

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Hi…………. I have been putting cages around trees and tie the cage to stakes trying to keep them a few inches up put down mulch really thick around the tree keeping it away from the trunk, then I use a Kama from Green Harvest to weed next to the tree trunk very carefully getting in under the cage…………….. if you know what I mean

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Where is everybody? It is so very quiet

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Watering and more watering is on my agenda for the next few days. It is going to be in the low 40’s here, most uncivilized.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Another day and another feeling of down-heartedness as the forum grinds to a complete halt. For years four of us kept things ticking along with daily news of what was happening in our particular worlds and keeping the spammers at bay, when all others deserted ALS for facebook. Now with a new look forum and a lot of bravado I seem to be the last one standing. I am tired of talking to myself. Where is everyone? 13 years (I think)ago I joined a ALS now I feel very, very sad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,621 through 1,635 (of 1,696 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.