Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What did you do today?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up What did you do today?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,486 through 1,500 (of 1,696 total)
  • Author
    Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

We have been freezing our bits off -3.7 yesterday morning and a tad warmer this morning -2.3

diannedianne
    Participant

Hope you have a fire to keep u warm judi.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

yes we have an old wood stove but would love to upgrade to one that will burn overnight

SnagsSnags

Spent the morning wandering around with wheel barrow and hoe looking for straight rocks

SnagsSnags

First loaf of bread for a few years tasted and looked good,Ive begun feeding up my mother to get a sourdough happening again.The mother is a probably 5 or 6 years old but has laid dormant for a while,its kicking along after 2 days feeding.

LioraLiora
    Participant

Wow Judi, that’s nippy. I don’t think we have had minus yet but snow fell and disappeared on the mountain. Our deck has finally got its laser lite on, I can now hop around getting shoes on/off, use the bins and open the door without getting rained on, it’s such a simple pleasure.

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Checking in the hot house I find 3 of the tomato plants have the start of flowers

SnagsSnags

Im attempting a no knead bread with a sourdough twist….going out to smash the last 3 steps I did they are going up hill I mis- calculated fall of the land and depth of the riser….they look great but not going downhill fast enough,,,,its going to be less steps and more ramps…which is a lot easier if I hadnt spent so much time building the steps first…..live and learn

SnagsSnags

Both look like they worked out well…bread looks excellent and smashing steps leaving foundation gives me the height I was originally worried about,,,and there’s plenty of spare rocks now to build my wood fired oven to bake more bread,,,,,,yeyyyy

SnagsSnags

No Knead bread was excellent…I will never buy bread again ,,,,its soooooooooooooo easy….replace the 1/4 teaspoon of yeast fora 1/4 vup of sourdough mother and wow…I will buy a ceramic oblong cloche to make a long loaf instead of a cob, better for slicing for toast

LioraLiora
    Participant

I’d love to master sourdough, it starts well then gets fuzz on it after two weeks. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

SnagsSnags

Do you keep it out and feed it ?……mine got fuzzy in the fridge after a few years I forgot to feed it regularly enough….scraped it off fed it re-warmed on the bench,,, and boom its bubbling….the bacteria and acids when properly fed should keep the fuzz away….my one smells like fermented pineapple at the moment…I will make a loaf on Mon or Tues when next I have the oven on…..tank water or rain water is a key…I tried to make my plumber mate a loaf and forgot he turned of the pump and with chlorine town water it didnt rise.

SnagsSnags

Found my old Clay baker havent used it for 30 years,,,,so will try a loaf in it,,,,,experiment is all no knead 1 is pizza,1 is sourdough to go in the Cast Iron Pot,the other is regular yeast to go in the Clay cooker….Im trying to see if I can get a good result with no knead for pizza,,,I already like the regular method in the cast iron and will see if the sourdough is an improvement,I will test the regular for the first time in the clay cooker and see if it works well….long term goal if results are good is to continue with sourdough pizza and bread in the clay.

SnagsSnags

The sourdough one had to go in the fridge to slow it down…I will take it out tomorrow

LioraLiora
    Participant

I get it started on the bench and it is popped in the fridge but still fed every few days, but that’s where it goes wrong. I’ll try again and give a report to see if the problem can be pin pointed. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1,486 through 1,500 (of 1,696 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.