Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What did you do today?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up What did you do today?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,696 total)
  • Author
    KasaliaKasalia

Most years we aim from Mothers day to Fathers day to light our Nectre Bakers oven, and prior to that our AGA, true to the cold weather the day before Mothers day I lit the fire, and now sitting by it luxur-i-ate-ting (is that a word) by the warmth of the fire, as even tho we are sub tropical, its 14 degrees so I was cold. I know if you live in Tasmania thats probably laughable, but to me its bliss.

I have been working hard for the past 6 weeks,as having been away from home 6 months have had a great deal to do, but thats another story. So wine In hand , cheers to the arrival Winter, I love it.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

I went to the Boonah State High School’s 50th Anniversary celebrations today. I was in the class of ’82 so it was good to see some old faces.
    Then this afternoon I wandered around the garden with a pair of secateurs in my hand. I did a bit of nipping and tucking, good therapy.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

It was the model train show in Brisbane today so not much happened around the yard today.

Oh DS and I did fit the new screen door this afternoon. It was only eighteen months after the old one gave up the ghost but you can’t rush these things.

Picked all the pumpkins today as the frosts had rolled the lot, they should keep us going for awhile 🙂

Also rolled up all the hoses before the weather gets so cold they freeze and burst!

Still haven’t replaced the front screen door here Steve…………………dog wrecked it 2 years ago!

KasaliaKasalia

Had a great Mothers Day today, box of flowers turned up at 9 while having breaky in the sun, a Bunnings voucher via email , lunch out, followed by a local musical production Anything Goes, featuring Col Porter songs, and afternoon tea at the local RSL. Even better no-one wants dinner, early night in order, after a cup of tea.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I got to spend the whole day in the garden ….. weeding and mulching, watching the wildlife and thinking about my granddaughter she was born on Mothers Day in 1994 I think of her quite often wondering how she is (haven’t seen her since she was 2).
    I had the phone near me all day waiting for a call from the son but nothing.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I didn’t do much, it was blowing a gale here.

Exiting day!

Got a phone call while I was out for the day doing volunteer work that the daughter has gone into labour with princess number 2……………….waiting 🙂

Must be getting your wind here today ballamara!

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I am glad to see the end of it,   for the minute that is,   now all I ask for is steady soaking rain.

KasaliaKasalia

The neighbour next door of 3 years,mowed his lawn today.It starts with his edgeing machine, followed by the whipper snipper, then mowed to perfection after which the electric hedge clippers are run over all the shrubs, if they don’t comform out you go, bye bye frangipani and croton.

The shrubs are all lined up like soldiers around the perimiter on a neat path of mulch. While out the back architectual plants grow in straight lines neat and tidy.A knee high hedge grown since moving in, separates an open border, I suspect hiding my garden, as we are downhill.

On the other hand my garden is straight out of The Good Life. I like to think of it as a Potager but a far cry from the neat organised French Potager. Plants grow where they want to, self seeding, while pots of excess seeds clutter on edges. There is no lawn only the nature strip. Flowers pop up amongst the vegetables,small step over fences made from apple and mulberry tree prunings,separate ginger and lemon grass, accompanied with ornamental birdhouses and rusting spoke wheels.Tubs of seaweed, worm juice and bales of sugar cane complete “the look”.

As best as I can I try to keep it neat, there are Rows of 6, lettuce, broccoli, 50cm rows of carrots, peas and beans climb tee pees and sweet peas climb an arch.

I think its pretty like a cottage garden and it feeds us.

We get on as neighbours, both of us hardworking in our gardens, but really neither of us would change.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I am with you Kasalia, my garden is very add hock. I a seed decides to grow then who am I to argue with it. Here where water is a finite resource the only thing that has any senblance  of order is the veggie garden and the roses all around the house.

KasaliaKasalia

Been painting the verandah roof all day, back and shoulders sore now, glad I had to stop for impending rain. Looks good though very pleased.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Today s  job is helping DH to cut and cart wood. Not my favorite job but it has to be done. 

GilianGilian

Hello,

I’m new here, actually I’m new to leaving messages on forums!  So hope this works out for me.  I would like to change my profile name, but can’t seem to work out how to do it?  But I am pretty chuffed with myself that I managed to add a profile picture! 
    I tried Facebook for a short while, but it wasn’t for me and no longer use it.
    We gave our TV away in 2007 and haven’t missed it.
    I would like to get rid of the mobile phone, but it is still with me even though I very rarely use it!
    Sitting in front of our computers is very much apart of our lives, too much and I plan to cut back on my usage – more time in the garden, kitchen or making things.  However, I’ve spent a good part of this morning looking at some of the blogs mentioned in this forum!
    We started a veggie garden as soon as we moved in here about 3 years ago and this year will see the whole area being used, we have 4 rotational beds for annuals with side beds around the edge for perennial herbs and plants like rhubarb, Jerusalem artichokes, strawberries and out latest acquisition – yakon.  The veggie garden is fenced in with a high fence to grow climbing beans and passion fruit and future climbers on.  I also stick flowers in here and there and the fence helped support the Queen Anne’s Lace I grew last year, I’m hoping the seeds that dropped will reseed.
    I spend a lot of time at the Gnarojin Community Garden, and have learnt heaps from just talking to the older locals that visit the GCG.
    okay, that is enough from me, now lets see if this works?
    cheers for now,
    Gillian
    SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Hello Gillian, welcome to ALS. Sounds like you will fit right in here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,696 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.