Aussies Living Simply

What Bird Is This Please?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    porgeyporgey

Hi ALSers, I took this photo the other day and I cant seem to find what type of bird it is. Can anyone help Id it please?

Cheers, Porge.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster
    porgeyporgey

Thanks Steve, you are spot on. Which species I am not sure but at least I, or rather you, have narrowed it down to the correct genus. Thanks again, cheers, Porgey.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

No worries Porgey.

Going by a post over here, it looks likely it would be Latham’s snipe.

The three snipes are extremely hard to identify unless you have them in hand- virtually the only easy distinguishing feature is the configuration for their tail feathers. Latham’s snip can (apparently) be distinguished by a number of subtle features in the field, but Swinhoe’s and Pin Tailed Snipes are impossible for anyone except the extremely experienced.

Thankfully, there is an easier way to do it: the only Snipe found further south on the east coast than a Camooweal- Iron Ranges line in Cape York Peninsula is Latham’s Snipe. So, if, as your username suggests, you live on the Sunshine Coast, then it is Latham’s Snipe.

porgeyporgey

Thanks again Steve. It is most likely a Lathams Snipe so from now on I will call it “Latho” until proven otherwise. Or maybe Steve The Snipe, but it has a rather unfriendly tone to it which doesn’t reflect your help and kindness. Cheers Porge.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.