Aussies Living Simply

What are you planting now??

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden What are you planting now??

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

went pricing some today Judi, the one I want is $90 for 30mtrs, need to rethink my options

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I’ve got the mesh just some old stuff from when we dismantled a friends shade house in town, now to find a few pickets then get it all together tomorrow…. not feeling the best today I coughed most of the night so very tired.
    I have one tomato showing its head now just another 7 to go, still only one rosella   🙁
    I might get to save some pea seed yet since the peas have been in cages I have some forming, some of the tatsoi have started flowering  so more seed

SnagsSnags

Have the black strawbs come up?

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I.m not planting anything at the moment, it’s too dry. I will have to re-think everything and see what else I can grow winter/spring instead of summer that is if the bees are co-operative.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

must be so frustrating

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

ballamara   >:D<  been there done that during the drought we were saving every drop of watr to just keep the trees alive …. somehow the triffids survived.
    I haven’t started planting much just yet … have to find the garden first   :”> too many weeds but I have stuff planted around the fruit trees.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I am wondering if I could grow tomatoes and pumpkins etc in winter when we have more water available? We don’t get very many frosts and I could protect then if need be. What do you think and would pollination be a problem?

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

everyone in the tropics have their gardens in our winter – all you can do is try
    at the most toms are self pollinating and you can always pollinate pumpkins yourself

SnagsSnags

If you can get the temps up
    I think toms like 18ish C
    Greenhouse would be worth investing in somewhere down the track

In dads backyard in Melbourne I over wintered a few tomatoes under plastic dry cleaner bags on stakes.
    They had tomatoes in July.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

I have overwintered tomatoes many times for various reasons and the plants certainly survive.  In warmer winters in my climate they produce fruit and in cooler years they do not.  Tomatoes tend not to be able to pollinate at low temperatures and many varieties will drop flowers or immature fruit if the night temps are too low even if the days are warm.  If you choose one of the parthenocarpic varieties (such as siletz or legend or some others) then pollination is not an issue and all you need to worry about is protecting from frost.

BelBel

I’ve had tomatoes grow on through winter but they taste like crap. The sunshine gives them their flavour. I’ve just planted some heirloom potatoes given to me by my uncle who saved them but is too unwell to plant them. It’s so hot and dry here too but I’ve mulched heavily with pea straw.

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Just finished my last wicking bed and went looking for seed  potatoes  but no body has them

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I had to buy mine in July, to plant in october Aus

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I planted some more bush beans hope this lot get to fruit seems everything is out to get the garden this is the 5th lot I’ve planted I’ve lost some to cats toileting in the patch and most from hail.

SnagsSnags

I planted some more Romano beans
    I love their sweet nutty taste
    Might be a bit too hot??
    The last lot is finishing up now
    See what happens

The yellow butter beans turned up their toes they like it a bit cooler

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.