Aussies Living Simply

What are you planting now??

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden What are you planting now??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa

Looking in my yates garden guide it seems that May is not really time for planting too much, gardenate however looks a little bit more positive with a much longer list.

I think looking at the lists and my collection of seeds I am going to try to get the following going before the end of May
    Garlic (have bulbs, just need to get them in the ground)
    Broccoli
    Broad beans
    Florence Fennel
    Kohl Rabi
    onions (possibly – I have seed which is a couple of years old and I don’t know if it will germinate, also not sure if it is too late to sow seed, guess there is only one way to find out)

What are you planting now? and what tricks do you have if it isnt the ideal time to plant them?
    BelBel

Everything is late here so I’m still picking tomatoes! :/ hubby planted some kale seed yesterday and I’m heading out now to plant some garlic. I’ll be planting onion seeds, peas, broad beans and brassica seedlings soon. Our shade cloth veggie garden does help to create a sheltered microclimate when it’s as cold as it is now.

VanessaVanessa

Good to know that I haven’t missed the boat on a few of those things (or at least if I have I’m not alone lol)

I bet it’s a lot colder up at your place than where we are, we only just turned on the heater this last week (and only for a couple of nights).
    SnagsSnags

Lots of wombok and beans and snow peas

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

We  had 15mm of rain yesterday so will try sewing broad beans,peas carrots,parsnip and swede seeds. Might even plant out the cauli’s and broccoli if time permits.

SnagsSnags

Planted a black Russian side shoot given to me.
    Leeks have sprouted so has the sour sop seeds and the poblanos

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I have broadbeans, all the brassicas, peas, carrots, onions, turnips
    all have sprouted and looking good

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I put in a few more peas and carrots, plus a stack of calendulas.

crissycrissy

How do you plant carrots? any tips?

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I mix the seeds with some fine sand in a jar,(with holes in the lid) and then sprinkle then in lows in the veggie bed.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I just put mine on seed raising mix, the trick is to keep them moist, cover with paper or old hessian and keep moist till they show themselves, then take cover off

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I’ve planted some tatsoi and mixed asian vegies in seedling trays should be ready to plant out by the time I make some more cages, I’ve got the bed all ready it had some parsley and calendulas in it but the possum made a meal of them so cages are the way to go…. peas I planted are all gone too 🙁

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I have 60 garlic cloves to plant, not sure where I’m going to put them??
    I plant by the moon, so I have to wait a couple of weeks

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

My garlic did very well last year, only problem is …we don’t eat it.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

oh but it’s very good for you, mind you I know some people cannot tolerate it, but it is very good for you
    seed potatoes are next on the list, along with asparagus
    got my green harvest catalogue today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.