Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What are you doing today? (Part 4)

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up What are you doing today? (Part 4)

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 760 total)
  • Author
    FatimaFatima
    Participant

Well, I was very very tempted by an advert in the classifieds of our local paper. After speaking (pleading) with DH I scraped up enough money, including bags and bags of coins, to go and buy…. a horse!!! I haven’t had a horse since I was around 14 years old. She is a 7year old chestnut Waler and I’m sooooo happy. You can probably see that though. Her name is Shadow and she will be quite a project for me. She has only been broken in to head stall and saddle however she has not been ridden for a few years. I normally would not have considered a horse like this, but the fact that she’s a purebred waler and has an absolutely beautiful temperament gives me confidence that I can get her there with lots of love and patience. Baby steps will get us there.:D

So, does anyone want to buy a Suzuki GSXR750 for $3000? 😆

She’s a lovely looking mare. Lucky you!!! Hope you have a largish flat paddock. you are going to be spending a fair bit of time on the end of a longeing rein for a bit. But with that temperament she should a love to work with!!! Am jealous! PS, you are looking great!

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Hi Fats, Shadow is one lucky girl!! I’m sure you two will be the best of friends…. :clap::clap: That sure is a great photo of the both of you…

Is that your very cute cottage in the background? That caravan is to die for…. I am looking for something similar to have as a spare bedroom….

angelpussangelpuss

Shadow is lovely, she has a kind eye so I think you will find her willing to learn and please you.

Turns out the bushfire has burned out 250 hectates in the forest towards Mathoura. Apparently it is under control now.

FatimaFatima
    Participant

Thanks Chezza. The cottage belongs to our lovely neighbour who lent us her float to pick up Shadow. The caravan is also hers. The cottage looked like a total disaster when it was first moved onto the block. It was a really bright blue all over with a red roof:rip: We didn’t know how we were going to be able to screen such an eyesore out, but she has done a magnificent job of it now and it has loads of character. There is a lucky young lady renting it out at the moment and she is lovely too. My neighbour and I work on a type of barter system. She runs an antique shop and I wanted an office chair that she had. It was $30 but I didn’t have the cash on me but she was ok for me to send it up later. When I tried to pay for it she didn’t want cash. She wanted to be paid in eggs!!!:lol::lol: Suited me just right as she normally buys eggs off me anyway. We had a lend of her horse float today so DH is going over all of its wheel bearings, brakes, tyres etc and giving it a few much needed repairs for her in return for the use of it. We love the barter system:clap:

Shadow is such an affectionate horse that I feel confident that I can work with her and get her there, even though I have never done it before I reckon theres a lot of common sense with how to go about it.:tup:

BobbeeBobbee

Yeah for the barter system. :clap::clap::clap:

As I said in another thread Fatima, you are as lovely as ever. :hug::hug::hug:

Beeuuudiful horse.

Glad your fire is under control angelpuss. :tup::tup::tup:

I have had a lovely lazy day doing exactly what I wanted, when I wanted. I am a lucky duck.

:hug::hug::hug:

hadenufhadenuf
    Participant

Today is work in the garden day and a sleep this afternoon. I am still feeling a little second hand after spending Friday fighting a bush fire west of Rockhampton near the Blackdown Tableland National Park. We got a call at 9.30 Thursday night about it and started work at 5.00 a.m. Friday. I didn’t get home until 9.30 p.m. Friday night. It was very lucky that there was a logging skidder on hand and a operator on the ball who put in some breaks Thursday night or the National Park would have likely been toast. National Parks guys are now monitoring the situation.

HerbmanHerbman

Nice horse! I can see why you bought it. Am also jealous.

Glad to hear the bushfire is under control Angelpuss.

Hey Fatima, you are absolutely right, common sense has a lot to do with horse training. There are some great books about those methods that use horse bodylanguage. A lot less stressful for the horse and the trainer and they get a kind willing horse at the end of the process, not one tha is too scared to use its initiative like the old ‘breaking’ methods did.

I have sooooooooooo many little bitsy things to do today. Phone the plumber and concreter to make sure they are turning up and when, call in at council with a start-work notice, do the laundry, see if I can see the local doctor about some skin lesions that need looking at (possible spot of skin cancer, but more likely just dry skin) and the list goes on. Oh, and rummage in the container for my hat box for tomorrow. That is all before I start in here with more floorboard bashing and then, cutting up the boards i have bashed off for firewood so that is one pile of wood tidied out of the way.

sewing ladysewing lady

Breathe Herbie! Breathe deep, and relax!

Beautiful horse!

Glad the fire is out!

Good luck with the Cup Sweeps tomorrow.

My son comes today for a weeks visit. can’t wait!

angelpussangelpuss

I have done the laundry, picked up around the house, put the bin out and now have to feed up, shower, have DS cook waffles for brekkie, (his kitchen speciality ), clean out the car and take my relative to the town she is moving to next week!! Yay! Better mental health facilities ( there actually are some), a lovely unit and it is where she went to school and there are other relatives for support. I am also making my moving house plans – in the opposite direction!!:lol::lol: 😡 I know that sounds a bit harsh but I am a private person and like to be left in peace. I am not good with several phone calls and requests on my time on a daily basis.

Sounds eminently sensible to me. My mother (also with bipolar) had no understanding of boundaries whatsoever. Well done you for finding a solution for yourself that also enhances the quality of life of your relative.

luvinluvin

had a beautiful am to wake up to,the cows behind us decided our spare yard with green grass too tempting to resist,horseman 70 yrs odd on horse rounding them up,but it was good to see the calves they are gorgeous,these are american longhorns on way to a bigger greener paddock,honestly one they were in is so dry and blah

no matter what you do have a wonderful day !!!!

hope you are alright andy :hug::hug::hug:

baringaparkbaringapark

Fats, can you start up a thread of your horse journey? I am undertaking similar with my 2 rescues and it’ll be nice to compare notes. I have just started my young fella under saddle, and my anxious older boy is benefitting from natural horsemanship (as am I). We are all learning together and the results are astonishing 😀

angelpussangelpuss

OH luvin, Longhorns are just fantastic! In all the thousands of cattle in this district, there is one Longhorn on a farm near town. I think everyone here feels as if he is “ours” as we all take an interest in him! It is such a novelty in a dairy cow world.:)

38′ here now, the bitumen in the road is melting in places.I am home from an awful trip to town, so hot and so many Government agencies requiring relative to fill out paperwork. As she has a crushed disc in her spine, walking is extremely painful and slow. It turned out she could have done everything over the phone but she insisted on being driven there to attend in person (I found that out after I got there!) :@ So I am now sulking under the A/C with a headache. Hope tomorrow is cooler:|

ETA: sorry I have been such a whinger lately:noapprove:

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 760 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.