Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

What are you doing today? (Part 3)

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up What are you doing today? (Part 3)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 990 total)
  • Author
    Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Continues from

Part 2

angelpussangelpuss

Looking out the kitchen window I have just noticed the first buds on the new quince tree!!:D Planning on getting the kitchen re-organised today, hopefully to be easier to work in. Maybe I will hear from my daughter tonight, she works mustering cattle on different properties in WA, NT and QLD, miss her so much when she is away, usually 8 months of the year:(. Only have one girl and I am very proud of her, she went up there when she was 16 and loves it! Also today I will put new grass cuttings in the bottom of the pigeons house, its big enough for chooks as well so am thinking of getting 3 or 4. We only have 2 tumbler pigeons that my son talked me into at a market last month :uhoh:.

fluffy chookfluffy chook

Ohh tumbler pigeons – they are amazing to watch if you can teach them to home and let them out. They fly upwards and then tumble over and over through the air:D

The warmer weather has made everything sprout – the grape vines are putting out new shoots and it looks as though we will get some fruit this year – last year there was none. The newly planted tropical apples and pears are waking up with some new leaves. I’m having a go at espaliering them so that should be interesting. 😀

kathykathy

Baking bread rolls for the rural fire service social day ,I refuse to eat home brand white sliced .Am also picking lettuce and tomatoes for the hamburgers ,I complained about there only being meat sandwiches so am seeing if I can educate them .Men seem to be happy with their greasy sandwiches but I think the women will appreciate something healthier .

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Been out fixing the electric fence. A tree had come down and was touching the fence causing a short (this happened when we were away). Resultant loss of “oomph” meant cows just walked through the fence and a couple of strands were broken. One of them the porcelain insulator at the end had snapped right through.

Now relaxing with a cup of lemongrass and ginger tea. Bit of a misty day, bit of rain about.

DocDoc

I am running a workshop for men on how to sort your sox and jox drawer :metal:

Followed by toilet roll changing – the great debate – how much left on is enough?

People need to know 😀

smallingly yours

Doc 😉

BullseyeBullseye

Doc wrote:

I am running a workshop for men on how to sort your sox and jox drawer :metal:

Followed by toilet roll changing – the great debate – how much left on is enough?

People need to know 😀

smallingly yours

Doc 😉

The DW and I have unisex sox and jox drawers, it’s all kewl coz she sorts it out. :tongue:

luvinluvin

good on ya Doc !!!:tup:

JanineJanine

Can my hubby enroll in this course doc, twice a week his clean laundry is deposited on his side of the bed and for the last 11 years it has been dumped on the side of the bed onthe floor, I think perhaps he would need further lessons!!

Rain about today, I am going to do some weeding and more garden prep for spring crops.

TOday it is raining (just for a change). It is the sort of rain you would love to have after a period of dry weather. what you might call a good steady soaking rain. Continuous. Relentless. Given that it has been raining pretty heavily of late the rain is falling onto ground already saturated and has nowhere to go. The sports fields over the back are a rapidly expanding lake. The paddock on the other side of the railway line is a broad and slowly moving river. The chooks are saturated and despite spending some time in the dust under the caravan (the only dry land in sight), they are soaded to the skin and their feathers are drooping to the ground. They have moved from one place of shelter to another. Their journey punctuated by brief outbursts of excitement when they come across a colony of drowned worms. I have added a thick layer of sawdust to their nesting material as it was soaked through. I can not replace it, as if I leave the lid off the pen for long enough to do that the wood itself will become wet, so they will need to make do until there is a lull in the rain.

The dog is sighing loudly on his bed, but has injured his foot slipping on the wet ground so is not allowed to play vigourously. The cats are sulking.

Still, the door has its second coat of paint and the firewood is cut and stacked and waiting to go onto the fire in due course. But now I think I will retreat to the caravan and draft up a list of the work I am expecting the plumber to be quoting on.

And maybe try to work out how many bits of wood I need to order and of what dimensions, for the extension. Will run both past Tassie for his expert input before placing the order or providing to the plumber.

It is hard to remember that this place was dust just a few short months ago.

lynnielynnie

I have had a rather busy day cooking…. I made doc’s fruit cake *yum*yum*, muesli bars, fresh lasagna sheets for the lasagna I made…. Must admit I haven’t spent this much time in the kitchen for a good couple of months…. Feeling rather satisfied with my efforts 😀

Anonymous

In between rain we have been woodchipping the garden :jawdrop: Removed a huge potato vine that was threatening the lemon tree (from above and below). Planted 2 maple trees, pruned back a ‘shrub’ that was growing rapidly into a small tree, hacked back a mass of echiums, trimmed the fur of the dog’s legs… (well, it was LIKE pruning!). Um, planted a mock orange, potted up some ornamental grape vine cuttings. Pruned poor, sick lemon tree.

Painted the proscuitto leg, checked salami, went over vegie garden plans, fertilized raspberries, emptied rain guage (YAY!!!) took bags of organic fert. down to my new garden shed. 😀

Now it is time to make some kind of lemon dessert to use up some of the 2 buckets of lemon we got from MIL. Tired now – might have to have a sidecar – they use up a lemon or two! 😉

JadeJade

Lasagna sounds delicious! Maybe I should cook some for dinner tonight. How do you make your fresh lasagna sheets lynnie, if you don’t mind me asking?

I planted my first tomato and parsley seedlings today 🙂 the photos are on my blog.

lynnielynnie

Jade: I use my bread machine to make the dough but you can use a food process…. I use 500g of plain flour and 4-6 eggs…. I start with 4 eggs and see how it comes together then I add more if needed…. I also have a pasta machine so I divide the dough into 4, ball the dough slightly roll it out and then put it through the pasta machine… I take the thickness down to number 6 on my machine… There is plenty of dough left over so I freeze it for next time….

Whats the url of your blog Jade?

JadeJade

lynnie – perfect, thank you! I have a bread machine but not a food processor. I don’t have a pasta machine though, I wonder if I can roll it down flat enough. I think I should invest in those two machines – my b’day is coming up soon 🙂

My blog is http://romijade.wordpress.com/

I’ve tried to add it to my signature and fill out my profile information a few times. It says it saves.. but then when I check out my profile there’s nothing there. Is there a trick to it? :uhoh:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 990 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.