Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Weed ID & suggestions please

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Weed Identification Weed ID & suggestions please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

To put it mildly, I hate this weed :angry: It grows everywhere and climbs up the nearest thing it can find. The roots spread everywhere under the soil and are like spaghetti. I keep digging it up and trying to find all the roots, but I’m probably just making it worse. Does anyone know what it is and how I can get rid of it? Unfortunately, it’s intermingled with the veggies. I thought about painting on some sort of weed killer on the tips that are far enough away from the veggies, but would rather not. Am I kidding myself that I can eventually get on top of it if I keep pulling it out?? We have covered a lot of it with hessian matting and newspaper, but it tends to crawl along under the soil and poke its head out somewhere else. Here is a pic. It’s climbing over an agapanthus and lemongrass….

kerriebkerrieb

It bindweed Convulous (sp) family googles not working for me right now. Getting rid of it. Smothering it doesn’t work well came though a 6 foot high pile of mulch once. If you use glyphosate check the rate it’s something ridiculous like 50%. It still takes multiple goes. I could never get rid of it, thankfully this house doesn’t have any.

Plastic solarization maybe

BelBel

Thanks for the response Kerrieb. This stuff is driving me mad! Doesn’t sound like good news. I might, unfortunately, have to try glyphosate between veggie seasons.

BelBel

Bindweed

I found this site about Bindweed Convolvulous. It’s bad stuff if you happen to have it in your garden. I’m going to try painting on glyphosate with a paint brush so it doesn’t affect the other plants, in combination with pulling it up where I can. It has made me feel really sad about our veggie garden at the moment 🙁

ClarafloClaraflo

This site is really thorough and a great reference for weeds. I came across it this morning. It does into technical detail about how the plant reproduces and organic methods for getting rid of it. Unfortunately the prognosis for bindweed isn’t good as even a fragment of root left in the soil is enough to keep it going. Its a weed that only likes to inhabit cultivated area’s. Maybe intentional planting of competitive weedsplants could help to control or wipe it out.

Common weeds and organic management

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.