Aussies Living Simply

Water usage from septic tank

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lmd80

Hi, we have a septic tank with a hose and sprinkler that go on the grass. I was wondering whether this can be used to water fruit trees? And even some plants such as comfrey and kale to be used for feeding chooks.

Anonymous

can’t see any hassles, so long as neighbours don’t see and the council don’t know, would not suggest using any sort of sprinkler just run it around the ground. if you mulch the plants then run it under the mulch.

len

lmd80

Oh is it not allowed? Are you only supposed to run it out on the lawn? I have only lived on acreage for 12 months and so first time on septic and not just town sewerage.

Anonymous

dunno where you live, maybe check with the shire council?

but generally septic water is black water and should be left in the system or get it pumped out. our shire up here now won’t even let us water fruit trees with grey water, i know people up here who had micro-irrigator system to water their pansies with, used to smell a bit.

we will have septic when house is finished never know what we might do gotta be careful got older yuppy couple next door who seem to believe what the council says is carte blanche, they couldn’t believe it when we got approval for a septic.

i still reckon black water run under mulch around fruit trees should cause no problems, dunno if i would let it run in the open when it evaporates it could get wind borne.

len

lmd80

I phoned the guys that do the inspections on our tank and they said the same thing, fruit trees are fine but along the ground not on the plant. I think we may just leave it for the grass and look at a tank near our chook yard.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.