Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Waste water processing options for new house

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION, ENERGY and WATER CONSERVATION Water Conservation Waste water processing options for new house

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    robatclarerobatclare

Hi All,

Been a while since I’ve been here – life has been busy.

We’re still going ahead with building and even got council approval finally on Christmas Eve last year.

The new problem is that the Biolytix, the company that provides the waste water system that we were going to use is now in liquidation (no pun intended).

What other solutions have people used that might be similar?

– no chemicals

– low energy input (i.e. pumps)

– no smell

– cheap?

Thanks

porgeyporgey

How about composting toilets, a sepo, and grey water diverters?

slowlynowslowlynow

We’ve got a biolytix.. great system so far. Not sure what will happen with future probs etc. Will be interesting. I think with such a great product someone else will (hopefully) pick them up!

robatclarerobatclare

porgey post=310395 wrote: How about composting toilets, a sepo, and grey water diverters?

Not an option as the plans are now approved with blackwater leaving the building and entering some sort of processing.

Biolytix would have sorted that into irrigation water for us without power inputs…

What about a reed bed…

df418df418
    DB346DB346

Biolytix may be getting picked up by overseas company; if only you had the flexibility to wait.

We have a Biolytix system as well. Had it for 3 years without a problem. Most impressed with it. Still can be serviced by the ‘local’ previous Biolytix contracted rep. Most reps will still service.

Don’t know another ‘worm farm’ simple system, but I will keep an eye out.

robatclarerobatclare

Starting Over post=310404 wrote: What about a reed bed…

Thanks for the reply.

Yes we have considered reed beds, but these require additional engineering calcs for our council and also a septic system before hand anyway.

robatclarerobatclare

df418 post=310410 wrote: A and A worm farms

http://www.wormfarm.com.au/

Have sent a message to see if this is available in SA. Looks like a good replacement for Biolytix.

robatclarerobatclare

DB346 post=310416 wrote: Biolytix may be getting picked up by overseas company; if only you had the flexibility to wait.

It would be nice as this is what we’ve planned, but in the fallout from their demise and subsequent information about previous businesses going under and then reinventing themselves under new names, I’m a bit cautious about sending a deposit their way.

(I’m just lucky that I didn’t lose my 50% deposit like heaps of others and I was still waiting for council approval!)

The problem I’m finding is that everything else is aerated, agitated and then treated with chlorine – a standard septic sounds more “eco” than this.

Thanks for the replies. I know we’ll get there!

mkc2862mkc2862

Hi…an interesting discussion. The A and A Worm Farm sounds very good, a pity there aren’t some pictures of the system on their site. I will contact them during the week and see how it works…hopefully their system is compatable with Kyogle regulations…

Michael

bluesnipbluesnip

Well first of all — approval to build! Exciting!!! Woohoo!! :laugh:

I asked a few questions at the South East Field Days, they had Ozzi Kleen and Biocycle there, but I have no idea if that is of any use, because I have not got my head around the different systems yet! But they were advertising in SA so would service your area. I can rustle up the pamphlets if my filing system was in operation that day :unsure:

bluezbanditbluezbandit

I have an Ozzi Kleen and couldnt be more satisfied with it. All parts are guaranteed for replacement for life.

Excellent product, and no, I dont get any commission from them.

Deb

bluesnipbluesnip

Hmm ok I see what you mean now, after a bit of reading. Yep, chlorine used in everything I can come across. Can’t find any other trickle filters like Biolytix. All have chlorine as far as I can see. Aqua Nova, Earthsafe, Biocycle, Ri-treat, Ozzi Kleen – who knew there were so many! :blink:

robatclarerobatclare

bluesnip post=310515 wrote: Yep, chlorine used in everything I can come across. Can’t find any other trickle filters like Biolytix.

I could probably get over it (just) if it was just a chlorine tablet every three months, but the agitators, air pumps, pump out pumps don’t seem to make it power efficient.

We live in a quiet area and I’m hoping to get away with gravity feed water to the hose to avoid pressure pumps. I hate the sound of a pump kicking in for 30secs everytime you turn the tap on.

So after eliminating those pumps, now it seems I might have to have a couple of other pumps within 30m of the house that might run 24/7. Bugger.

Thanks everyone for your help. I’m waiting on contact from A and A Worms, but as they don’t list anything for SA then I doubt they have approval.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.