Aussies Living Simply

Wanted – wormwood cuttings

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Wanted Wanted – wormwood cuttings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    EdiediohEdiedioh

Wormwood hepls keep internal parasites at bay in chooks.

I am trying to source cuttings/seedlings or if it’s possible, seeds.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Where do you live?

GrethGreth

Have plants in pots and can send if not a restricted state. Not sure about true wormwood atm, have tree wormwood, african and roman I think ready to go. Could send buckets of dead flower heads, but no idea whether it will grow from seed readily, doesnt seem to self seed.

If no plants in pots could send cuttings of true or roman. takes very readily from cutting.

BobbeeBobbee

Hi Greth, I did not realise there were multiple types of wormwood available. Would you mind explaining the different kinds please? Are they all suitable to use with chooks or do they have different purposes? 🙂

:hug: :hug: :hug:

jeanette kirkJeanie
    Participant

Hi bobbee have a giant bush is it the hardwood part you need?

GrethGreth

True wormwood is Artemesia absinthum, the one absinthe was made from. Probably the original medicinal version, but others seem just as effective.

Tree wormwood (A abrotanum)is very similar, but grows a bit larger, often see it as country hedges. The African (A. afra) has a finer leaf, bit prettier, and similar uses. The Roman (A. pontica)has a ferny leaf, very pretty as a background shrub, also can be used for animal litter etc.

Other Artemesias include French and Russian tarragon (the only real edible ones) southernwood, and some lovely little alpine species like Artemesia alba.

All are really good at drought tolerance.

I prune back my wormwoods regularly, otherwise they get very scraggy, and the old flower heads and spare bits go into chook house or nest boxes.

please just be careful with wormwood, especially if you suffer any skin conditions. We had a single wormwood plant, both of us reacted badly just by touching it.

EdiediohEdiedioh

I’m in Paynesville (moving to a farm near Dennison/Heyfield in 2 weeks, and work in Sale.

Would be happy to cover postage from afar and could exchange for freerange eggs if you’re close by.

EdiediohEdiedioh

I’m in Paynesville (moving to a farm near Dennison/Heyfield in 2 weeks), and work in Sale – Victoria

Would be happy to cover postage from afar and could exchange for freerange eggs if you’re close by.

BobbeeBobbee

Jeanie post=335912 wrote: Hi bobbee have a giant bush is it the hardwood part you need?

Thanks for the offer Jeanie but I just wanted the information because I hadn’t realised there was more than one type of wormwood. I already have wormwood growing, now I shall try to find out which one it is. I bought if from a herb farm so I can check it out next time I visit. :hug:

Thanks for all that information Greth, I should read my herb books taking note of the latin names. :tup: :clap: :clap:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

GrethGreth

Im SA,so dont think the eggs would post, besides we have plenty.

Please PM address, happy to take payment in sweet pea seeds once I work out what it costs. (One thing I do buy every year about this time, and didnt save last years) Will send an African and some cuttings of True wormwood.

EdiediohEdiedioh

Hello Grath

Did you get the PM I sent you a few weeks back?

GrethGreth

Sorry to be so slow, cuttings are IN THE MAIL now.

EdiediohEdiedioh

Did they come back to you? My address is number 70 not 50!!!! Of all the typos to make! :blush: :blush: :blush:

Sweet Peas on the way.

GrethGreth

Havent checked mail yet, will do tomorrow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.